[Stoves] report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:33:55 CST 2016

Hello Crispin,

It seems indeed that we are able to understand and measure quite well
exposure, but to measure impact on health is the huge next step.

So my take would be that you would not venture into designing a study on
health impact, but would for now focus on exposure? Understanding
exposure and its sources might help us understand health impact?

Frank,

I really like your idea of monitoring health of people living in
villages in normal conditions, and then of a group who keeps living in
the same village, and another group living in modern house far from
sources of pollution.

Only the exposure settings should change, not their habits, like the
food they eat, or the water they drink.

Then it would be difficult to have a group of villagers living far away
from their village, socially isolated, during the whole course of the
study, which might necessit months and months.

Unless you take 2 similar villages and fully transform one: modern
houses only, all stoves but electric plates are banished.

Paul,

/Yes, with stacking I mean that people still use the old stove along side
the new one even if two stoves are provided. There are multiple reasons
for doing so and they will go away quickly. /

That's the first question that came to my mind when I read about the
study, I asked the question in my first post. From the article, it seems
the researchers were more or less able to measure stove stacking.

So the conclusion of the study would be: "Philips improved cookstoves,
because of their particular design (but other improved cookstoves have
the same issue), are expected to be used only for some meals, and we
have assessed that this use has little effect on pneumonia."

Now it'd be great to know if these same Philips stoves, when in use all
the time, have an effect on pneumonia and other diseases.
Also improved stoves with different design, maybe more adapted to
cooking habits in Malawi, are used more, and then what is their effect
on pneumonia and other diseases.
And then, have the households use Philips or other ICS all the time, no
stove stacking, and see what is the impact on pneumonia and other diseases.

After all these studies (like in 15 years from now), probably the
conclusion of the researchers will be:
"the authors recommend that the design of the stoves be modified so
their adoption rate can be increased, and their emissions reduced."
To this I will answer:
"Thank you. We recommend that some funding be spent on stove R&D instead
of studies, so we can implement the recommendations."

Best,

Xavier