[Stoves] report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Dec 17 04:32:18 CST 2016

Hi Xavier,

Perhaps I misunderstood the definition of ’improved’ stove? I was thinking it was the same small stoves being tested and the improved was newer designs that do a better job of burning pellets and lumber cut fuels based on emissions. But you are thinking modern stoves using electricity, liquid or natural gas fuels?

The tier approach used to compare stoves is just a friendly game to get stove producers to pay labs to test and compare their stove to others. The winner gets top rating for funding for distribution. Take those stoves into the real world of assorted fuels and I suspect the order of perfection will be quite different. And that is the only place it really counts. We need research to match real fuels to the stove. I see all other research to be a waste of time and funding getting misdirected from where it should be spent. There is no way to improve on what has already been done until we do that.

Regards

Frank