[Stoves] Off-topic: Bednets and stoves, without the blinders (Re: Andrew, Ron, Roger)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 12:50:28 CST 2016

Andrew: (What remains of you after gnats and midges; hey, my "anger and
scorn" are just humor to me)

(I am adding Ajay Pillarisetti on cc list because Ron brought him in for a
tirade on me yesterday. My response to Ron was off-list, because I don't
think it's worth bickering on this List. Ajay can skewer me online or
offline; I am always happy to be shown up as an ignoramus. "One authority
versus another" is a matter for the courts of law; at least in US,
groupthink is not necessarily law.)

I agree with you "In no way does this detract from the need for cleaner
stoves." I might substitute "cleaner, healthier environments", but that is
a quibble.

The main point is that research like the Malawi/Nepal studies are
irrelevant, GACC's search for "Evidence Base" is smog. Inane quantification
that is devoid of "context" - and happens to be based on dubious data and
methods - is a red herring.

Crispin thinks, "Being 'obvious' might be good enough for some."

But that would threaten the new Lords and Ladies of Poverty - the Academic
Bureaucratic Complex in search of "results" without a theory of change. In
econometrics, it's called Specification Error. There are multiple other
errors in assertions of causality all around.

It's good that customers know what they want, experts be damned.

****************

I may have mentioned treated mosquito nets a long while back because the
basic idea of Disease Control Priority Project - the origin of DALY concept
- was to compare $/aDALY computations. DCPP is now in its third phase
<http://dcp-3.org/>.

I happen to have been peripherally involved with "results based budgeting"
across sectors, including health. While DCPP objectives are laudable, it is
primarily a research enterprise with a lot of questions about data quality,
methods, and usability of results. I forget now when the lingo developed -
I think GBD concept first came in 1990 from Chris Murray and Alan Lopez,
and DCPP may have arisen from it, publishing "Comparative Risk Assessment"
(CRA), which is the basis for DALY computations. Dean Jamieson - then of
the World Bank - advanced the idea of $/aDALY budgeting in World
Development Report 1993
<https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/5976>. My thinking is
Jamieson then went to University of Washington, and ran DCPP. CRA is
probably better characterized as that part of the GBD exercise that seeks
to allocate computed DALYs to various "risk factors".

Those who haven't already might want to read my 25 October 2016 post on
this List - The story of GBD 2010: a “super-human” effort, "a way of life";
still getting away with murder? (Ron: Aren't IHME researchers the ultimate
authority on what they do? Why pick on Crispin and me?)

I read portions of various CRAs. Murray and Lopez edited a volume The
Global Burden of Disease: A Comprehensive assessment of mortality and
disability from diseases, injuries and risk factors in 1990 and projected
to 2020
<http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/41864/1/0965546608_eng.pdf>.
Projections for 2020 were pure poppycock. (Webster says the term comes from
Dutch and meant "soft dung". Biomass believers love it.)

I looked into the potential for employing $/aDALY justification for
"stoves" - indeed, LPG cylinders and burners as studied under the Malawi
exercise we have been talking about - back in 2000/1 and dismissed the idea
once I realized the pitfalls of the concept and incredible assumptions
required to defend it.

Ron Larson and I had a series of arguments on the Shell Foundation
Household Energy and Health online dialog in 2001. Unfortunately, I had
done some homework.

Nothing in the last 15+ years has required a change in my view. Unlike the
faithful, who persist in the faith. The search for Holy Grail goes on
forever.

Credulousness is a chronic disease. Just like skepticism.