[Stoves] Lets eat beans for every meal!

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 16:20:49 CST 2016

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:33:14 +0100,Frans Peeters
<peetersfrans at telenet.be> wrote:

>  I can tell one important thing : Pressured steamcooking is not healthy
>because at 120° C you destroying the SULPHUR –AMINO ACIDS most important
>essential building blocks from proteins TO FORM NEW BODY MEAT ; Our body
>need to contain 800g Sulphur !

It needn't be a problem then as one could set the pressure to around
10psig (~900kpA) and the steam would be below 120C.

>Steam cooking without pressure is ideal and I use it 7 years .

Yes I always steam vegetable in a trivet, I don't like drowning them
in boiling water.

>  But in Europe beans are sold mostly in cans  of 400grams . Ready for use
>the hole year .

I think the point was that pre cooking the beans in a central location
is far more efficient in terms of heat losses than bringing them to
the boil and then simmering them, as Crispin frequently points out
simmering is wasteful.

The hotbox/haybox/retained heat cooking as shown by Rebecca is ideal
for simmering but again is best done in large batches to reduce heat
loss per unit volume. Using Polyisocyanurate wall insulation for a
single 2litre pan I have found I need to reheat beans at least once to
cook them in the retained heat mode.

Andrew