[Stoves] What to do in the New Year

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Dec 31 17:38:40 CST 2016

Greetings Stovers,

Reflecting into the New Year…..

Stove designers and producers should, once again, pat themselves on the back.
Researches and scientists should, once again, bow down in shame.

It seems that stoves have not yet met the clean air and efficiency desired from health workers. To continue working on cleaner air we need to look at controlling the next limiting variable. After that is controlled there will be another limiting variable and another - always another until the task is done and air is clean and healthy.

The limiting factor is (Box 1 of six) the fuel (broken record here : ) ). We all know that because thats why we use regulated pellets and dried cut lumber in testing. In cases where wild wood is used it means nothing because we have not tested and listed the chemical and physical parameters. We do not know anything about the fuel or the limitations on the fuel for the stove being used.

I do not know if all the research studying wild biomass and determining limitations on stoves will result in improved performance and cleaner air BUT I do know that if we ever plan to get cleaner air that controlling the fuel variable is the ONLY next step.

I have worked at the bench for over forty years and have lots of ideas on what is needed and test methods to determine them. Any lab that can re-direct some of the wasted millions to a risky project of testing biomass and stove limitations and would like my 2 cents - I would be glad to help. The lab needs to have the ability to test (a) biomass, (b) combustion process (c) air quality and (d) cooking tasks.

Whatever the results the local wild biomass will need be prepared for the stove based on findings. That means to chop, split, crush, chip, dry, press, etc so all biomass used is uniform in chemical and physical properties. Developing equipment to do this will likely be the next project for designers and manufacturing.

Looks like it could be a busy year - I hope!

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields
Gabilan Laboratory