[Stoves] Ceramic ND TLUD for biochar

Rebecca A. Vermeer ravermeer at telus.net
Fri Feb 5 23:11:15 CST 2016

CRISPIN:  That is one of the options for providing continuous steady heat for fish smoking. It is possible to make a brick chamber that will do exactly that.
TOM:  It makes sense to make charcoal in a TLUD/flame cap style device for smoking fish.

Dear Tom & Crispin,
Your exchanges are of great interest  to me.  Do you have photos or drawings of the above devices?  I plan to add a fish smoker to the livelihood program we have introduced in the Sagay Eco-Kalan Kitchen, Livelihood and Feeding Center  and will soon introduce to the relocated Lacawon Island residents in Cadiz.  The main livelihood for the men in both villages is fishing.  Both communities use mangrove  for fuel and make into charcoal.  These are the 2 communities we brought relief to after Typhoon Haiyan struck the Visayas in November 2013.

My Whirly Pinay TLUD  clay stove (Kelpie's design; version 1) is great for cooking and does not smoke provided the wood is very dry;  otherwise it smokes like crazy ( Img 0029).  I can make charcoal with it or burn the char completely.  When cooking, I prefer to burn the char;  when baking, I make char as the amount is not sufficient to maintain the desired baking temperature.  Had a problem - fine crack starting from the lip of the bottom part of the stove where the 2 ends of the ring are joined.  I will find out soon if the problem persists when I get back to the Philippines and test version 2 (Img 4572).

For making char, I prefer to use Michael Wittman's pyramid or the Kon Tiki.

Whirly Pinay pictures (version 1)

https://goo.gl/photos/E1yPYGiCLtGMdXGM8

February 4, 2016 Whirly Pinay (version 2)

https://goo.gl/photos/FrhPntTGGHbsXJX99

 Rebecca