[Stoves] Version 2.0 of TLUD history is available

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:51:55 CST 2016

Hi All;

Those were very interesting comments from Tom on Ron on the early days of
stoves and cookstove TLUDery.

I am reading a review paper (abstract below) from the other world (#2) of
forced draft "TLUD"s in the combustion science laboratories.  It is a nice
overview to introduce people to the main topics of past studies.
Two-hundred and two papers are cited.  It summarizes the effects of fuel
thickness, moisture content, primary air velocity, modeling and more.
Interestingly, the authors say that the methods burning the produced gas
have not been sufficiently researched; just like we find for TLUD
cookstoves.

I am afraid that this paper is behind the paywall.

This paper is a good example of why I think that part of capacity building
for practical stove makers would be to fund their access to these resources.

By way of a contrast, I searched the Web of Science for the number of
academic papers with biochar in the title.  Unlike the industrial focus of
"TLUD" research, biochar research is largely motivated by developing the
technology for farmers and gardens.   By searching for papers with
"biochar" in the title I got 1,729 hits.  I searched for "biochar and
compost" in the title and got 79 hits.  I searched for "rocket stove" in
the title and got ZERO hits.

How many billion people cook with biomass?

Cheers,
Julien.

Khodaei, H; Al-Abdeli, YM; Guzzomi, F; Yeoh, GH.  2015.  An overview of
processes and considerations in the modelling of fixed-bed biomass
combustion.  Energy 88: 946-972  DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2015.05.099

ABSTRACT:  Biomass fuel is an environmentally friendly renewable energy
source and carbon-neutral (non-fossil) fuel alternative. To facilitate its
wider uptake, significant efforts are undertaken to model and
experimentally study biomass combustion processes, in both industrial-scale
(grate fired) and small-scale (labscale) combustors. In many studies, the
core aim is to better understand the relationship between thermal
conversion processes (drying, pyrolysis, char conversion) and their
interrelationship to combustor performance (efficiency, emissions, process
temperatures, scale formation, and instabilities). However, due to the
complexity of solid fuel (particle) conversion and fuel bed behaviour,
precise modelling of all aspects of biomass fixed-bed combustion is not
readily achievable.

Despite the existence of excellent experimental and modelling studies on
numerous aspects related to the characteristics of forestry derived biomass
fuels and their combustion, research in this field is challenging.
Complications arise from the multitude of fuels used, the varying
geometries and combustor configurations investigated and the different
modelling methodologies adopted to resolve steady-state and transient
operation.

The literature includes works on various aspects of biomass combustion,
including that undertaken in fixed-beds. However, whilst these works are
valuable, they do not sufficiently cover the methods and fundamentals to
model direct thermal conversion, at the bed and particle-level. The aims of
the present study are to provide a fundamental overview of the
methodologies employed in the modelling of laboratory-scale fixed-bed
combustors. The paper also includes treatment of the fundamental
thermophysical fuel characteristics which need to be considered when
undertaking macro-scale (bed-level) modelling. The paper concludes with
summary observations in relation to the modelling of fixed-bed combustion
as well as some opportunities which warrant further research and the
challenges to be overcome.

--
Julien Winter
Cobourg, ON, CANADA