[Stoves] venturi system -ratios of air and gas?

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Mon Jan 11 19:10:54 CST 2016

Kirk,
and stovers,

by the way,  call me as a stover just with my first name. - I see the participants somehow as a big family, united and as "stovers" to share passions, questions knowledge, observations and so all things to make and stay friends.

I will give now just some keywords, because it is here now "round about midnight"

Primary air for Tluds: In stable burning condition is only few needed. So strict volume by quenched "high pressure" (e.g. out of car-tyre).
Quenching: Low tech: with clamp
(to calibrate: bubble air into a water-filled bottle which is standing upright-down in water)
comfortable: compressed air with rotameter.

Secondary air:
 favor controlled by venturi. Question: Woodgas driving mass or driven mass.
If woodgas is driving mass; would be the nozzle affected by clogging of tars?
If secondary air = driving mass:  my first question in the thread was if the ratios of Air and woodgas would fit together.

I found in description of a custom ventury-system for gas:
Driving medium has about 3.5 times the pressure of the gasstream behind ventury nozzle.
Normal gas-burner has about 50 mbar ;  to reach 50mbar there should be a driving pressure of about 180mbar. that is not much. Difficulty could only be the amount.
Background-idea: If there is a relatively small amount of high-pressure, one could get via venturi the needed amount of secondary air.

You mentioned to run a Tlud best in mid range.
That is the same problem how cars get out of low-emission-range;
and sounds somehow like VW got into trouble :-)
I talk since years, that nearly all stoves (including commercial gas-burners) do _not fit really_ the needed turn-down (=simmer) ratios.
- So take a hay-box for "breeding" to end.

-A sort of modern swiss-made pots, has isolated walls and lids. After boiling to a certain point, the pot is taken from the stove and put on thermal isolation to bring the cooking-process to end.

My other idea: Combined Twin-stoves, run both for a time with full power, shut down one to reduce.
I find it useless to think too much about big turn down ratios, because we come quickly out of comfortable burning ranges.

Woodgas has slow flame-speed.  therefore long flames. High velocity could make problems.
Possibly must we think as well about:
If velocity rises, _pressure and temperature_ could go down. To keep burning it is best or even necessary never to get below self-ignition temperature.

 High self-ignition-temperature for woodgas, low for charcoal.
Possible solution: Have locally besides woodgas glowing charcoal; which is blown to white-glow = self-ignition temperature of woodgas. (This was already described as solution)

How about driving secondary-air _through_ white glowing charcoal?
That is in simplest way: high primary air.

I will repeat reading your mail to get closer to your interesting points and questions.

Best to you and all stovers
Have a nice evening,
when I am dreaming of stoves

Martin