[Stoves] Maendeleo/Upesi stove: dimensions?

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Wed Jul 6 00:02:05 CDT 2016

Dear Xavier, I finally get to write an answer: Crispin is correct that the Chitetezo Mbaula, which is promoted with increasing success in Malawi, is based on the Maendeleo/Upesi stove.

We did though modify the design according to the principles learnt from Rocket Stoves, but agreed on a compromise between ideal features (high and narrow combustion chamber, insulated material, small door etc.), safety (tipping height, stability, weight) and acceptability by the people who want to use larger firewood, spend little time to tend (as considered in Dale Andreattas ‚walk-away-test‘) and prefer a stove that weighs less than 10 kg.

The major changes from the UPESI/Maendeleo to the Chitetezo Mbaula:
We made the body higher and narrower to maintain the fire as concentrated and hot as possible to enhance combustion. The limitation was the acceptable height in Malawi (preferred was 25 cm) and the stability.
We made the walls thinner to limit weight / mass, but the thickness also depends on the quality of the clay.
We also made the door smaller to limit excess air, but as a compromise large enough to allow people to use larger pieces of wood, otherwise the stove will not  be accepted and used.
In Malawi the portability of the fire is a major desire as many people do not own kitchens, so the stove has a floor/bottom and handles to carry the fire around.
It has no metal cladding as metal is too costly for the clay stove that is currently retailed at less than 2.5 USD.

Last but not least the production viability and transportability played a role in determining the current design that was agreed in a Stove Camp among national stakeholders in Malawi in 2013. Find a narrative and a table with the agreed upon dimensions in section 3 of the Stove Camp 2013 report http://mbaula.org/index_htm_files/Stove%20Camp%202013%20Report.pdf <http://mbaula.org/index_htm_files/Stove%20Camp%202013%20Report.pdf>
The dimensions refer to the moulds and the wet clay body when moulding the stoves, so that a stove produced anywhere in the country should stay within certain limits of dimensions after the shrinkage during drying and firing.I attach the quality control poster. The Canarumwe stove in Rwanda uses now the same dimensions.

The main dimensions and the production process are summarized in the attached Quality Control Poster. There are also English training manuals for the moulding of the stoves with simple bucket moulds or the more professional and expensive paddle moulds, but I don’t have the electronic versions.

You find performance data on fuel use and safety on http://catalog.cleancookstoves.org/stoves/385 <http://catalog.cleancookstoves.org/stoves/385> and on emissions at http://www.dukeenergyhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jagger-and-Pedit-Talk-May-2014.pdf <http://www.dukeenergyhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Jagger-and-Pedit-Talk-May-2014.pdf>
The Chitetezo Mbaula has since 2013 become the most promoted stove type within the Malawi National Cookstove Programme, which aims at promoting 2 Mio cleaner stoves by 2020.

Thus this model has caught on and has become the national minimum reference stove for firewood.

Yet, if I would start a new production in a new country, I would go for a different hourglass shape like the Jiko Matawi in Tanzania that accommodates a grate for multi-fuel use with charcoal and briquettes apart from side-fed firewood. A larger base also has the advantage to allow larger pieces of firewood to be used, which does not necessarily reduce fuel use but increases acceptability and overall impact of the stoves.
The Jiko Matawi comes in three versions based on the same dimensions of the firechamber: without handles to fix in mud and two stand-alone versions: hand-moulded all-ceramic or moulded wtih standardised moulds and protected with a metal cladding:

well, thats all for now. feel free to come back to me for more clarifications

regards Christa