[Stoves] Solar Powered Stoves Relevant?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Jul 6 21:57:47 CDT 2016

Dear Ingelore

Well, I didn’t get to criticising it as a device, it was a concept designed
by the students as a project. They donated it to an orphanage or something
in Durban. Yes, it was really expensive but that wasn’t the point. They were
trying to show that solar cooking can be done at night.

It had wheels and was rolled indoors at night.

Regarding the bowl, it is quite common to have institutional stoves with
fixed pots.

Here is a Lion Stove with a 70 litre cast iron pot held in with 20mm
diameter steel bar ‘keys’ to prevent theft. Even if you want it badly, it is
really hard to take it out.

The pots are cleaned in situ, easily. They are used to it.

Here is another cast iron pot in a solar cooker. It was our attempt to win a
BBQ competition without using any fuel.  Meal was great, judges
unappreciative.

Correctly assembled, that food on the table makes potjiekos where the potjie
is the pot.

Hello all,

I am asking myself: Who can afford such a device? Who has the space to store
it when not in use? And - in case the in-built bowl cannot be removed -
wouldn´t it be too clumsy to clean it?

Ingelore Kahrens