[Stoves] Domestic Use of Energy conference, papers and proceedings

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jul 7 08:36:00 CDT 2016

Dear Paul

The major change was in the website! It is far better organised now and so much more accessible.

Tom/Erin, I think it would be good to put a permanent link to this set of resources on the ‎documents list.

This set of resource documents (those that relate to stoves) is the result of deliberate, hard work on behalf largely of Prof Harold Annegarn, formerly of the University of Johannesburg and the SeTAR Centre. He is not at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology which is the DUE conference hosting institution.

What we did was propose to the DUE organisers that they create a parallel session through the entire conference dedicated to domestic stoves. Because there is, save ETHOS meeting, no conference sessions devoted to 'our community' this would be a major plus.

In order to earn this ‎we had to fill the channel with content. So from 2010 we (SeTAR and the contacts we had) started sending everything to that event. After two years we had demonstrated there was both interest and content in cooking energy.

You will find a lot of the papers that form part of the Masters and Doctorates of the grad students. They were all students in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies. ‎So the DUE Conference because a major event. We had presentations from a number of countries including Mongolia, China and others in Africa. This is not aimed only at South Africa.

You will note there is a major theme each year ‎so the presentations focus on that. Many of the presenters are from Europe and tend to be leaders in the field. One of the most interesting was the group in the Netherlands who have been funded to convert an industrial area to high power DC. The technologies needed to manage high voltage DC exist though it has special dangers and needs. High tech stuff.

There are dozens of papers and presentations on stove issues. A lot of comparative test of bottom lit vs top lit, and it has, though few in number, some of the only papers available on the analysis of test method calculations like the HTP and WBT.

Something that all presenters benefit from is coaching and critiquing before the ‎event. Prof Annegarn is systematic about this. All presentations are judged and a 'Best Paper' award is given at the end (with cash). If I recall correctly that award has been won 4 times in 7 years by a presentation on a domestic stove topic. This credits both content and presentation.

The elevation of stove issues to a position of high visibility greatly assists the development of policy and helps bridge the gap between the stove enthusiast community and those in the governance and regulatory communities.

If you find a SeTAR related presentation that interests you and there seems to be interesting data underlying it, you may be able to get that raw data for research purposes.

Enjoy!
Crispin

‎
Crispin and all,

That link leads to so much info from over a decade of "Domestic use of
Energy" DUE conferences.   I only looked in the 2016 folder and found
the Table of Contents page.   Totally impressive, with 16 categories of
papers (such as Water Heating, Smart Home Technology, education, and
much more.

This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT if dealing with _southern Africa_, but may
items were certainly with world-wide scope.   For those of us who cannot
attend these conferences (or all the sessions of interest even if
attending), this website is very valuable.

Thank you Crispin for pointing this out.   Now the challenge is to
review and digest the contents.  I hope that several people on the
Stoves Listserv will look at specific papers or categories and then send
us some highlights.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com