[Stoves] RE Clogging chimneys.

Vreni Uhle vruhle at hotmail.de
Thu Jul 14 18:04:20 CDT 2016

Dear stovers,

there is no miracle , just plain good practice and a lot of experience of people who know more than I.

First of all : Firebrick lined burning chamber. Mine is 45cm wide, 60 deep and 45 high + a 15 cm dome on top.
The burning chamber is insulated so as to stay hot. A metal box does not work, since it takes the necessary heat out of the fire.
The hot burnt gases leave on top of the dome and give their heat to the (metal)heat exchangers above. 8 Pipes for air, 4 double walled ones for water heating.

Second: No grate, the log burns best in it´s own ash bed.

Third: Primary and secondary air are preheated between the air xchangers. Primary, about 70 %, is led into the b.chamber short above the ash level on both sides of the bc. Secondary air is added just below the "dome", through 2 offset pipes pointing downwards at roughly 35 ° and creating a hot swirl above the log. The swirl keeps the smoke from leaving the hot chamber immediately, giving the tars a chance to burn completely.

We live in a cold and damp valley 8 km from the Mediterranean Sea. Our wood is mostly white pine ( pinus halepensis )
We dont split logs under 40 cm diam, which makes it a lot easier. The smaller branches prepare the embers for the big log.
Before we go to bed, we put one big log in, close the dors, wait  1/4 h to let it catch a good fire and then almost close the primary and half close the second. air. This gives us an 8 h burn, sometimes even longer. Next morning another big one on top and off to work. The children find the house warm and enough embers when they came from shool at 15 h and just added another big one.
Saterday morning ash removal. Cleaning the heat exchangers  at the most 2 a year.
The smoke stack is simple sheat metal running through the upper storey´s bathroom horizontally. cleaning every other year.
Mostly white fly ash, sometimes grey, never black.

b.r.
Rolf from hot Spain

Vreni und Rolf <vruhle at hotmail.de>