[Stoves] We're Actually Using More Fossil Fuels Than Ever

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 18 09:47:40 CDT 2016

Dear Phillip,    (and I have invited the Biochar Listserv to also
discuss this on their separate Listserv. For them, the previous messages
are found below my message.   The discussion refers to the article
at:                   )

https://www.thenation.com/article/bad-news-were-actually-using-more-fos
sil-fuels-than-ever/

Your comments questioning the _impacts_ of increasing atmospheric CO2
are well stated.  Readers are free to agree or disagree with you.  Only
in the future will there ever be the historical evidence and conclusive
proof that you seek, but we and our grandchildren will all be living
through those years, literally making the history that could drastically
alter life on earth.

However, what is scary about the DOE analysis is that inspite of
increasing concerns about atmospheric CO2, the best indications are that
very significant rises in fossil fuel usage (and CO2 increases) are
likely in spite of the current and forseeable efforts to stop the rise
and even reverse it.

About 35 years from now (2050) my grandson will be 50 years old, and
MAYBE BY THEN there will be sufficient historical documentation to show
how 300 years (1750 to 2050) were sufficient to massively upset the
climate on Planet Earth.  And then it would be evident that at least the
next 50 to 100 years (to 2100 or 2150) would be getting even worse
regardless of whatever efforts could be attempted (or maybe attempt
crazy stuff like launching reflective particles into the stratosphere to
prompt cooling).

Of course, by then Peak Oil and diminishing oil/natural gas supplies
might be seen as a savior that literally forces the fossil adicts to
change their ways.

A big part of the increase in usage of fossil fuel is attributed to the
rise in living standards and energy needs of impoverished people.  Their
socio-economic advancement SHOULD happen.  But the irony is that the
money-focused (business-sickness) interests of the already wealthy
societies actually want those poor societies to become users of fossil
fuels (so that the wealthy can be even richer).

That is scary.   And the future is scary.  We need to have long-range
planning, with some preparations and adjustment.  And action now.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com