[Stoves] We're Actually Using More Fossil Fuels Than Ever

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Mon Jul 18 10:51:49 CDT 2016

Thank you, Paul

We have known we were facing a huge increase in CO2 for a long time.  India
represents the next big surge - if it takes off anything like China we will
race through 450ppm. If Africa takes off, 500ppm will soon be there. Thank
heavens the effect is logarithmic, and the impacts will slow.

For a few rays of hope, however, I commend the Bray/von Storch survey of
climate scientists.  Unlike the Cook et al survey, which did a (probably
biased) survey of scientist's publications, Bray and van Storch used what I
think is a very good, neutral set of questions to ask the scientists
directly.  One of their first questions was" is the climate changing?" - 75%
said no doubt.  They then asked if human beings were responsible, and in the
latest survey 49% said no doubt - 51% had reservations to varying degrees.
The easiest access to the report is
https://www.heartland.org/policy-documents/bray-and-von-storch-5th-internati
onal-survey-climate-scientists-20152016.

There is an interesting problem of relevance to this list - the IEA gives an
estimate of fuelwood use (which neither the World Bank nor the BP
statistical survey gives), and I think is exceeds the forest sink by a
significant margin, i.e. deforestation is real, and those whom we serve are
partly responsible. Fuel efficient stoves aren't completely idiotic!

Kind regards

Phi;ip.