[Stoves] We're Actually Using More Fossil Fuels Than Ever

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 05:10:47 CDT 2016

This is Nikhil Desai again. I have lapsed in my reading and writing due to
travel and illness, but this subject line caught my attention. I hope to
write more later.

Michael Klare (in the Nation) is a professional scaremonger. To him, we are
supposed to shudder or else we are "irrational", "addicted".  He
screams, "Bad News"! This is no news. EIA has been issuing energy forecasts
since 1977 and energy CO2 forecasts (with emission factors for full
combustion) for at least 20 years. The news is there is no news; these
professional doomsters have to keep beating breasts every year to maintain
the hysteria and grant flows.

I am amused by the moral indignation of the anti-fossil neo-puritans toward
the CO2-promiscuous. Religious fundamentalism in the garb of science. A
nice little industry of perpetual modelling, counting the number of demons
in every CO2 molecule.

For decades, the excuse used to be "exhaustibility." Yeah. The world
exhausted all the oil and gas reserves it had in 1976, then again, and then
again. It still has more oil and gas left. Even the Saudis have decided to
let loose and run what looks like a price war. Now they are hysterical
about the exhaustibility "up above" - the atmospheric sink.

People who believe in "carbon budget" will readily believe anything and
anybody; that's how hysteria spreads.

Philip Lloyd rightly pleads, "Actually, it's not scary." The only thing we
have to fear is our local government, whether it can climate proof our
homes and livelihoods. Roughly a half of the humanity is climate proofed -
enough food, water, shelter, and disaster resilience. The other half will
suffer the climate whether or not it is changing. The saviors of the earth
will keep wandering the streets with alarm bells, with not a care for the
children of mama earth.

Nikhil