[Stoves] TEGs

Sluis, Paul van der paul.van.der.sluis at philips.com
Mon Jun 13 09:54:32 CDT 2016

Dear Stovers,

A few answers to the many questions (in random order).

I have built a TEG powered stove with a windup generator as start up mode. You still need electronics to transfer power from the generator to the fan.
Biggest issues: not very practical to wind for 5 minutes and since it is mechanical not very reliable. So you need a start-up battery. Reliability is the biggest challenge in this market.

TEG’s are not reliable enough for stoves that are started and stopped many times. Plus the fact that solar prices have come down significantly, the Philips stove is now solar powered. That also solves the issue of people running the stove to create a small amount of electricity.

The price of a TEG stove with small battery or a solar stove with large battery is not very different. Both need electronics. Both have to be solidly build with quality materials. It all adds up. Then comes transport and import duties. That makes them relatively expensive.

The Biolite stove that I have does have a start-up battery.

My personal view on biochar: I am afraid that the value as a fuel is so high that people will use it as fuel. Apart from that biochar is a wonderful soil amendment, specifically in certain soils.

For published papers on the Philips stove, just use google with ‘philips stove’. There is quit some information out there.

My stove work is back to hobby level, since Philips decided to step out of this business.

Kind regards,

Dr. P. van der Sluis

P Take care of the environment, print only if necessary ...