[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:52:30 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Mangolazi <mangolazi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How can I prevent the flame from going up so high?

Try making another fuel container with smaller or fewer primary air
holes for the walnut shell fuel.  One method I use is to mix some
saved dry char (coals) in with the fuel to reduce the height of the
flame.  You could also layer fuel into the stove when you load it,
putting first a bit of char, then some thicker fuel, and then the
walnut shells on top.  In place of the screen in your stove photos, I
have an insulated riser 7 inches or 18 cm high, so the bottom of the
pot is higher above the flame.  This riser is actually a juice can
wrapped in ceramic wool insulation covered with aluminum foil.  The
juice can does not last very long, but I have a good supply (free).
The primary air holes in my stove's grate kept getting smaller and
smaller over several years of experimentation, and now I use a little
computer fan to force more air through the holes at the beginning and
end of the burn.  My aim was to have the top of the flame just barely
touch the bottom of the pot.

--
Ray  Menke