[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:36:26 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Mangolazi <mangolazi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I use a riser, wouldn't that make the flame under the pot cooler, thus reducing heat transfer?

I wondered about that, so I wrapped the standard juice can with a
layer of ceramic wool insulation, then covered that with aluminum
foil.  The same piece of insulation has lasted over three years of
almost daily use.  My stove is not a camping stove, but rather a stove
used in an outdoor kitchen.  Three years ago, I placed a slide show of
the construction (on YouTube), which includes a very boring part
showing the flames just barely licking the bottom of the pots.  Except
for the riser insulation, this whole stove is made from recycled
items.  My best fuel is pencil sized slices of Mesquite, which is a
hardwood, and an invasive species.  Here is a link to the 4 minute
video/slide show.  The fancy flapper valve for primary air is not
required, as a rock or a piece of wood can also be used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHms7E0VAio
There is more information in the "show more" area under the video.

--
Ray  Menke