[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Mangolazi mangolazi at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 03:44:31 CDT 2016

Hi Kirk, my tin can stove is similar to yours except I don't have large secondary holes on top. I use wire mesh to hold up the pot.

I added a flame disk made from an aluminum beer can just below the pilot holes (see attached pix). Burn time didn't change but flame height was lower than before. Without the cover and concentrator hole, the flame was as wide as the can mouth.

There was a lot of turbulent flow just above the disk. I also saw a lot more blue flame than before, a sign of hotter and more complete combustion? I might try a fan shaped obstructor later, like with your Strata burner. Good stuff...