[Stoves] DIY camping TLUD with walnut shell fuel

Roberto Poehlmann roberto.poehlmann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:31:18 CDT 2016

Hi Kirk, Mangolazi and all

This is my attemp to design a natural draft camping TLUD stove with a
stainless steel burner.
The secondary holes are configured on top of the ring hole. The burner
is a short cylinder and a stainless steel on the top of the combustion
chamber. The short cylinder haver two rows of secondary holes, and the
conical part two rows more.

The base can is usefull only for controlling the primary air. I can
use the stove without it.
It burns pellets for more than one hour, including the gasification
phase of the char with a blue flame.

At the starting phase, the primary air "door" is fully open, then
fully closed in the pyrolysis phase, and finally fully open again in
the gasification phase (char burning).

So, I only have to move the primary air door 3 times. 2 times at the
begining and one more at the end of the pyrolysis phase.

Is difficult to operate a TLUD stove without primary air control, or
with a unique fixed configuration of primary air and secondary air
holes.

With this configuration, i can have a relative short flame without a
very central tall flame.

Pyrolisis phase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRVV9mIWhg

Gasification phase:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Dz-OAM0ozGg

Greetings

Roberto Poehlmann

Valdivia, Chile

"Mangolazi,

Reducing the flame on a TLUD can be difficult.  The reduced gasses are
cooler than the high power gasses and are further cooled and diluted by the
also cooler secondary air.  Eventually the flame goes out.  Several (for
your stove 4 would probably work) small pilot holes drilled perhaps
1 to 2 cm down from the secondary air entrance will
feed a little  bit of air into the gas before it is diluted and cooled by
the secondary.  The resulting pilot flames keep flame presence and will heat
and ignite the
remaining gas as it enters the secondary area.  It can give more turn-down.
Remember this is for small pilot flames, not the whole secondary flame, so
not to much.

Then you can put some sand or ash around the base of the stove to block some
of the air.  Add and remove sand/ash until the desired flame level is
achieved.
Then add your wind shield.  Once you have a good mixture, you can design a
primary air control if desired.

I have included a photo of my efforts at a backpacking stove.  It is not the
cleanest and not ment to be adjustable, but it is simple, cheap, light
weight and works great for wilderness camping.  The top of the can is the
pot stand and the wire grate fits inside the bottom of the stove.  This way
you don't need to elevate the stove.

Best,

Kirk H.

"