[Stoves] Why is it still so difficult to design cookstoves for 3 billion people?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 23:05:12 CDT 2016

Dear Xavier,
what you write is no doubt the actual situation at this moment, but things
are changing very rapidly in this country.  1% of the population shifts to
urban areas every year in Maharashtra. Already, we have only about 50%
population living in villages. Our organisation was founded initially to
cater to the needs of the rural people, but we find that nowadays there is
hardly any buyer from the rural areas for our appropriate technologies
because the way of life of the urban people is looked upon as the role
model by the rural people. However, there is no need to stop your business.
At least here in Maharashtra, our business is now restricted to selling the
biomass based cooking devices (including Prakti stove) and solar lighting
devices to environmentally conscious urban buyers. Even our biogas plants
are being sold to urban users. We call our biogas plant "urban domestic
biogas plant".
Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)