[Stoves] Fwd: re ELFD Sampada

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:26:24 CDT 2016

Dear Alex,
I never thought that this problem might arise in future in the case of
our ELFD Sampada, but yes, it can occur, because some calcium
bicarbonate is always present in water. The bicarbonate gets converted
into calcium carbonate. Being insoluble in water, it gets deposited on
any suitable surface. Descaling chemicals are available in India. Our
Institute conducted a project, long ago, for descaling the liners of
agricultural tube wells. In the Indo-gangetic plain, which is formed
by silt from the Himalaya,  the soil is sandy and the tube well walls
tend to collapse, unless they are reinforced. The reinforcing material
must however allow the water from the surrounding layers of sand to
percolate into the bore.  Therefore the tube wells are lined by
perforated steel pipes. The perforations however get clogged by
deposition of calcium carbonate. One introduces the descaling chemical
into the bore and the well water is not pumped out for one day. The
acidic chemical acts on the calcium carbonate and dissolves it,
without however corroding the steel pipe that is used as lining. I
faintly remember that the scientific name of this chemical was
sulphamic acid, but I may be wrong. I think that a similar procedure
could be used if the water pipes of the ELFD Sampada get clogged due
to deposition of calcium carbonate.
In the course of our bore well project, we successfully revived about
40 bore wells, which had stopped yielding water. The cost of the
chemical, in those days, was negligible, but nobody wanted to use our
technology. The large bore wells used to be dug by the Government. The
well used to cost about Indian Rs.200,000. In those days it
represented a large sum of money, and because digging a bore well also
included the percentages of various Government officials, nobody
wanted to use the cheaper alternative of using the descaling
technology.
Yours
A.D.Karve