[Stoves] "Vom Pyrolysekocher zur terra preta" Workshop 11-12.06. --> Clay TLUDs

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu May 5 06:01:47 CDT 2016

Dear Stovers,
the discussion on making clay TLUD brought back to me memories from 1980s
and 1990s when our Institute participated in a programme called National
Programme on Improved Cookstoves. The impoved cookstoves in those days were
always fabricated using clay. Our Institute used to conduct annually some
600 training programmes for village artisans. The training consisted of
preparing good quality clay, assembling the mold into which the clay was
filled, and dismantling the mold without breaking the cookstove. Each state
in India had an annual target to fulfill.  The programme failed in my state
(Maharashtra, which is highly industrialised), because the urban life style
was the role model for the rural people and therefore the villagers wanted
LPG stoves and not wood burning clay stoves!   We are still in the business
of selling wood burning stoves, but nowadays our stoves are metallic and
our clients are almost exclusively urban householders, who want to  use a
wood burning stove, occasionally, just for the fun of it.
Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)