[Stoves] "Vom Pyrolysekocher zur terra preta" Workshop 11-12.06. --> Clay TLUDs

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:10:42 CDT 2016

Dear Dr. A.D. Karve

It is valuable to hear of your experiences, and I think that they are
widely applicable.

I am working with a Bangladeshi NGO to design metal and clay TLUDs.
Similarly, we expect that metal stoves will be desired in urban areas.
However in the countryside, there is a strong sense from my colleagues that
minimizing the metal content of stoves will be essential for their uptake.
Between urban and rural, there will be a gradient of metal content in the
stoves.  The urban economies are more linked in with international trade,
so they find imported goods (e.g., metal) more affordable.  However, in the
countryside, the cash income for many households in much lower.  For them,
buying an unsubsidized, metal stove would cost a fair chunk of their
life-savings.  In such a case, the stove would have to pay for itself by
some means — which could be possible for fuel-saving, char-making TLUDs —
for adoption to be sustainable.  If a char-making clay TLUD does increase
the disposable income of a household, then a metal stove may be its
replacement.

(We should also note that a TLUD would probably not be used exclusively in
a rural home, because it doesn't work well on commonly-used, low density,
biomass fuels such as rice straw and leaves.)

Historically, the uptake of improved biomass cookstoves has been slow in
Bangladesh.  Stove-builders are making progress, but it takes a lot of
promotional work.

At any rate, it is important to hear that in your area, metal stoves are
the ones desired.

All the best,
Julien
--