[Stoves] [biochar] TEG-TLUD Re: Biochar and Uganda and Char-Making stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat May 21 09:56:48 CDT 2016

Dear Hussein,

We are now on the road to collaborative efforts.!!!!   I look forward to
working further with you and others.

There are MANY designs of TLUD stoves, and some are certainly "upscale
versions", depending on what features are desired.   Size is a big
factory.  What TLUD stoves do you know of or have worked with?   Have
you seen the Troika TLUD by Awamu, made only 100 meters from the west
gate of Makerere University, in Kikoni, Kampala? (Full disclosure:  I am
one of the founders of that company in 2012, and have given my 50% to my
Juntos Energy Solution NFP (an Illinois non-profit that I direct).

There are also numerous configurations of TEG units appropriate for
cookstove-size operations.   Most are experimental.   Some are moving
well toward commercial implementation.   Those units are mainly designed
in the developed countries, and therefore the makers can greatly benefit
from collaborative efforts in the societies (such as Uganda) that could
best utilize these advances.

To all readers:  Assume for a moment that
1.  one or more reasonable TLUD designs WITH some production
capabilities exist in  your  locale of operations WITHIN A DEVELOPING
SOCIETY where the people could realistically benefit for production of a
few watts of electrical power, and

2.  that one or more TEG configurations could be compatible with that
TLUD stove, (assume that this is totally viable).

Then:
3.  What could  be your (to everyone, not just to Hussein) DIRECT
INVOLVEMENT to make things come together for evaluation, pilot, and
implementation efforts?   Direct involvement could include money, time,
management, "connections" with villages, etc.

GOAL:  I would like to identify 3 to 5 HIGHLY VIABLE PLACES and
participants to make the TEG-TLUD efforts take place.   Eventually
everywhere should enjoy the benefits.   But right now (2016) we need to
have a few key sites.   Nominations of sites need to be accompanied with
information about commitments and resources, etc.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com