[Stoves] TEG-TLUD Re: Biochar and Uganda and Char-Making stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat May 21 10:46:08 CDT 2016

Dear Jock

This list does support photos.

I had a good long talk with the developers of this stove. They have reached the limit of what they can do without much better testing equipment. It is a downdraft stove, hopper-fed, pellet burning of course (it was a letter stove competition) and it can still be improved. The very interesting aspect was the huge TEG’s mounted directly in front of the flame.

Comparing this with Alex English’s cross draft burner seen at the Stove Testing Camp last year, I think Alex would have won the competition, had he entered. That said, both are exceptional and simple.

The unit puts out as much power as a large solar panel so if you are going to heat your house anyway, you might as well run the heat through the TEG. Then the efficiency is immaterial.

The only technology that will out-perform this is the thermoacoustic generator which has maybe 5 times the output (because of a much higher conversion efficiency). They are not yet available in small sizes. The Canadian one is 5 kW and runs at 700°C.

Here is the burner opened. The amount of fuel burning at a time is tiny. The centre plate means the fire is burning in a ring around the edge. This approach is not scalable – be warned – if the power level is altered.  It is difficult to maintain a burning ring. Making it burn in a single point solves that, but it is does in fact work because it is so small. There is enough heat flowing in that tiny space the keep the whole ring lit. The gap between the ring and the outside diameter is small enough to support the pellets.

Generally speaking, you will get less trouble from Alex’s approach which is to burn sideways. Lots of issues disappear.

While I am digging in the folder, Testo demonstrated their version of a TEOM which is a cross between a size-selecting impactor plate and a vibrating microbalance. The PM is collected on the gold plate which slowly rotates.

A very interesting stove built expressly to drive a TEG was shown in April at the Brookhaven National Lab.  It had one moving part - a fan, burned pellets - could be fed from the top, was clean burning, powered some lights and charged a battery.  It was not configures with a cooking surface, but that would be an easy upgrade.  As designed, it did not produce Biochar.  It was a 100% combustion device.  It was designed for off the grid living and survivalist needs.

The Alliance for Green Heat organized the event. Crispin and I both made presentations.

I would post a photo, but the list does not support photos.  Crispin can tell you more.  Or ask John Ackerly of the Alliance.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill

P. O. Box 3