[Stoves] TEG-TLUD Re: Biochar and Uganda and Char-Making stoves

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 22 08:53:02 CDT 2016

Andrew and list:

	1.  I forgot to say that the fuel cell approach to generating electricity in a TLUD looks promising because a) it can be highly efficient (>50%), b) normally works with H2, but supposed to work with CO as well - and the TLUD pyrolysis gases have mostly these active constituents (already at the required high temperatures).  We need a tinkerer with combined TLUD and electrical skills.

	2.  Re PV’s advantages you mention below - I agree.  And the declining cost of cells, battery storage and LEDs will make it ever harder for TEGs to compete, it would seem.  But two other options (besides the one above) come to mind as having a possible TLUD-electrical future:

	a.  Dean Still and Aprovecho developed a TLUD with the main flame chamber being glass so that wide area illumination was possible.  Apparently didn’t receive good consumer approval (was small and probably didn’t meet cooling needs) and so was not continued.  But for community outdoor lighting, it could be a cheap approach, since the salable char could make the cost go to/below zero.
	(Aside:  We haven’t mentioned that Dean and Sam Bentson’s fine presentation in the EPA-Winrock webinar on 18 May.  Well worth listening to when it becomes available for repeat.  See http://cleancookstoves.org/events/264.html <http://cleancookstoves.org/events/264.html>  and (soon?) http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/ <http://cleancookstoves.org/resources/>)

	b.  There is a (mostly forgotten) branch of PV called TPV (Thermal PV), in which cells are placed very close to an active flame.  The usual max solar radiation near a kW/sqm can be exceeded - and of course one can solve the solar intermittency problem.   See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophotovoltaic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophotovoltaic> for a rationale.  Many others cites via google.  Might make more sense with TLUDs than most because the char value could drop the operating cost to zero or less.

Ron