[Stoves] [Biochar-Ontario] August Stove Camp Fwd: [biochar] Emissions and Char Quality of Flame-Curtain "Kon Tiki" Kilns for Farmer-Scale Charcoal/Biochar Production

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:55:25 CDT 2016

Dear List,

Perhaps you can share some clarity on a few things for me, when does
charcoal become char and why is this? The two terms seem to be used
interchangeable in various discussions.
Is it that there is a temperature threshold during carbonization that
divides charcoal and [bio]char? An amount of porosity, type of feedstock
(is bone or algae char still charcoal?) or is it the size of the end
product or all of these aspects together?
And what is activated charcoal? Can it be made in a TLUD? Is there
'activated' lumpwood charcoal or biochar (could you use pool filter
charcoal in your garden) on the market? Why also are briquettes considered
charcoal and not biochar given that they are just charcoal dust and fines
packed together and has anyone heard of using inoculated chardust
briquettes for farming instead of cooking? Are there internationally
recognized standards for these various forms of carbonized wood? Ash and
mineral content etc.

My question about carbon emissions is in relation to this article
<http://e360.yale.edu/feature/the_surprising_role_of_co2_in_changes_on_the_african_savanna/2663/>
and
study here
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1442-9993.2009.02046.x/abstract>
that
suggests that increased CO2 in the atmosphere is 'fertilizing' tree growth
in tropical grasslands and changing them to scrub and woodland cover. Would
this not call for stove makers to perhaps cater to a designing for a higher
combustion of CO2 even if at the cost of efficiency in areas like
these...currently, much of the charcoal in the Laikipia plateau in central
Kenya is beginning to come from ranchers using charcoal making as a tool to
economically curb bush encroachment, i'm sure they would love to see less
efficient but cleaner burning cookstoves and BBQs on the market for their
charcoal and there beef!
And lastly, speaking of WWII, were charcoal based explosives still used at
that time? How much of a market is that still today? What kind of charcoal
is the gunpowder kind as compared to biochar? ;)

Sorry for so many questions about charcoal at once, any help is much
appreciated.

Teddy.

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

Save trees - think twice before printing.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net