[Stoves] What would you do with 30.5 million dollars?

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:26:20 CST 2016

Hello Frank,

"What would you do with all that money" is often a fun question to
answer! It is a great question.

Now, for the sake of the conversation, we will be bit caricatural and
blunt, because using so much money would be less simple than that, but:

  * I would use 30.5 million in R&D, both fundamental and applied, a
    massive, sector-wide, coordinated breakthrough R&D. To develop one
    or several better biomass stove technologies.

If this effort is a success ..... the dissemination will take care of
itself. There are so many players on the field who will be happy to sell
a great product, and make profit from it.

Not to oppose the two things, because they go together, so again, I will
be caricatural: we spend too much money in measuring, assessing,
studying. We don't spend enough money in doing, improving, making
progress. Now we measure, we assess. And each time the same conclusions:
shortcomings. These are the consequence of not doing enough to change
the stove technologies.

But 30.5 millions USD spent by one university for only one study? Can
someone confirm or infirm this information?

Best regards,

Xavier