[Stoves] Major case study about TLUD stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Oct 2 20:22:26 CDT 2016

Dear Tony and Alex and All

Attached is a set of diagrams that show where the heat goes in a couple of different types of stoves.

This is taken from a presentation made on behalf of the SeTAR Centre at CAU in October 2014 at the S4G Conference.

It doesn’t try to present all the information with a single diagram – you can imagine one stacked on top of another. They are presented for different conditions: cold pot, hot pot, and char-making etc.

The numbers are imaginary but reasonably for actual stoves. There is a question for the reader on what would make the ‘right’ efficiency metric.

I could imagine a Sankey diagram for a stove with variable qualities of fuel, environment, and pots on top could end up being quite complex, but it could be a great way to visualise the impact of various 'key' parameters and features, especially if it looks at more than just the stove and fuel but includes the growing, collecting, preparing, using and maintaining and replacing of the fuel.

If anyone had even a stab at compiling such a  chart it would be great to have as a reference or discussion document.
Please do post something if you have tried.

This report from India is excellent, many thanks for sharing.

Tony Vovers