[Stoves] Burning homes, children, and spewing smokes from stoves (Was Biochar Proposal - Lloyd Helferty)

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 07:13:16 CDT 2016

Dear Nikhil, Crispin, and others.

I think Crispin has given a detailed reply about ethanol stove. We were
measuring about 20-30 ppm CO levels from our ethanol stove and after using
it for about two hours rural women would report a mild headache. The same
headache episodes were reported by women in huts cooking on chulha and we
measured CO levels of about 200 ppm. The CO measurement could be slightly
faulty because we were using a low cost CO meter. But the headache episodes
were very frequent including those of interns who were taking the data.

AJH has also highlighted other aldehydes as another pollutant. All these
need to be looked at when promoting ethanol stoves.

Smoke consists of particles which deflect light-whether it is water vapor
 or other particles. Just like God it is impossible to define smoke!

I feel the real problem is inhaling particles which breach the BBB and not
so much which goes in the lungs. The cleanliness of combustion for stoves
should be defined from this parameter only.

Cheers and Happy Diwali though the bursting of crackers is going to
increase the noise and air pollution in India.

Anil

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-220945/222842