[Stoves] Burning homes, children, and spewing smokes from stoves (Frank Shields)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 22:11:41 CDT 2016

Frank:

Thank you. It is the "cooking food" part where demographic and economic
changes imply that stoves as well as cooking patterns need to change. They
have changed in the 50-odd years I have observed cooking around the world -
at homes, just outside the built dwellings, and also in restaurant kitchens
and water  heaters.

In my more reflective moments, I do accept the argument that stove testing
and certification will help. My views are simply that

i) International standards are worthless; testing and stove design go
hand-in-hand at the local level, depending on the resource context and
users' priorities.
ii) Claims of computing causal links from stove emission rates in labs to
health benefits are "Blowing Smoke".
iii) There needs to be region-specific (i.e., larger than community,
smaller than the whole country in most areas) strategies for promoting
modern cooking as well as air quality management initiatives and biomass
waste management as needed.

I write this from "policy and planning" perspective, not technical aspects
of such approaches. The database of "global household air pollution" is
fictional and the claimed links to "Global Burden of Disease" is a
super-human effort to pollute the air.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831