[Stoves] Hypothesis for Wonderwerk TLUD-ND

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Thu Sep 1 00:34:38 CDT 2016

All,

Talking about stoves at the InStove Stove Summit and Aprovecho Stove Camp made me think through the workings of our Wonderwerk TLUD-ND.  I needed to create a working hypothesis of why it burns as cleanly as it does.  Attached is the hypothesis.  It may not be completely correct, but it does provide an explaination, or at least a place to start an explaination.  There is a lot that I don't know about this burning method and a lot of work left to be done.

At Stove Camp, Sam Bentson, Aprovecho's lab engineer offered to help me probe into the pressure variations in the stove.  I was sadly involved with too many things to take him up on it.  My loss!  What I did do was to support Dennis, a visiting student from China, in his development of a wok support with skirt and chimney.   He tested it on top of the latest Wonderwerk TLUD-ND stove and the results were impressive.  He made several adjustments to the dimensions which seemed to improve its performance even more.  He required only high power and no turn-down.

After Stove Camp I visited with Jon and Flip Anderson.  We put an older Wonderwerk TLUD-ND under one of their clay ovens, and baked a cake.  It required two fuel (vertically arranged split sticks of an unknown variety of hardwood) loadings of the stove, the first to heat the oven and give about 30 minutes of baking and the second finished the 1 hour baking time.  This showed the need for turn-down capability for oven baking.  The latest Wonderwerk stove, which I had left at Aprovecho, would very likely have done it with only one load of fuel, because of better turn-down and more efficient burning.

I hope you enjoy looking through the hypothesis.
Kirk H.
Santa Rosa, CA. USA