[Stoves] News 10 September 2016: Soils and climate change

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 17:30:00 CDT 2016

Our best shot at cooling the planet might be right under our feet
<https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/sep/10/soil-our-best-shot-at-cooling-the-planet-might-be-right-under-our-feet>
Jason
Hinckel, Guardian (UK) 10 September 2016

This does not mention biochar, but the argument is complementary - soil
management is an important consideration in climate science.

I do think soil management can contribute a lot to the resolution of
several "planetary systems" threats, not just climate change.

I don't buy in the "anthropocene governance" paradigm - seems to me like
another indulgence of baby boomers of OECD countries - but soils have
direct economic and local environmental impacts on the lives of the poor.
Soil (and water) management hold more significant potential, in my view, to
protect and improve the livelihoods of the poor than, say, donor
foolishness about "renewable energy access" (new electricity access by
using renewable generation sources, as if the electrons are any different).

Lately, I have begun to see climate science work on isoprene, an ozone
precursor; tropospheric ozone is a significant warmer. See
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160822155924.htm,

Oceans also produce isoprene - https://www.sciencedaily.
com/releases/2015/09/150930073214.htm.

Nadine Unger argues that expansion of cropland has contributed to a cooling
effect - see http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v4/n10/full/
nclimate2347.html.

I have a bias toward lives of locals; the global arguments are, well, airy.
Still, intellectually fascinating.

Nikhil