[Stoves] USEPA: Absence of evidence is evidence of absence (re: Ron on WHO webinar)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:42:39 CDT 2016

Ronald:

I didn't know where Bayowahristan is, so looked up on the web and
discovered Balawaristan is a historical name for Gilgit-Baltistan in
today's Pakistan. Good to know.

I happen to like the idea of prohibiting some diesel vehicles in some areas
- e.g. trucks in residential areas - for reasons additional to air
pollution, namely noise, safety hazards, clogging traffic. Small diesel
trucks for cargo could be ideal candidates for hybrid or battery.

Banning all diesel vehicles, including passenger cars, from driving through
large cities - what you mention - may also conceivably be a good idea, but
only as part of a regional air quality compliance strategy.

Obsessing over one type of source, its emission rates (and presumed annual
loads), without regard to other sources and types of pollutants or
historical and future exposure profiles, is regulatory overzeal.

When it comes to household stoves -- a piece in a complex system of cooking
and with deep behavioral patterns that may only be changed by a transition
to another fuel/stove combination - this obsession becomes laughable.

Still, clean enough stoves that users prefer - for reasons of convenience,
appearance, whatever - are worth working on, without regard to the ISO
"fundamental foolishness".

Who knows, even fools may pass tests. I have.

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080