[Stoves] Boxing us in (Re: Ron Larson on EPA webinar on stove emissions and air quality)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 20:16:34 CDT 2016

Ron:

I don't do webinars. Nor can most of the 3 billion people we crow about all
the time.

Such webinars, it is safe to say, are for some 1,000 experts or
propagandists of the day - not the 1,000,000,000 cooks of today and another
1,000,000,000 before biomass stoves blessed by the EPA/GACC priesthood gets
Miracle Stoves to everybody everywhere.

You wrote: "I suggest waiting until after this webinar to answer your
questions about WHO and stoves."

I wonder.  The seminar is about modeling, damn the facts (i.e., absence of
them).

In the first place, Who are WHO? What does WHO know or care about the price
of eggs, er, dungcakes? Or for that matter anything about fuel markets,
biomass productivities and uses, poverty? To the extent cooking and health
are also intermediated via food and nutrition, and biomass fuel
availabilities and use via local land, water and temperature conditions,
why doesn't WHO take an integrative view? There's enough money to expand
research; just stay away from ISO standards as if it is a case of EPA
rule-making.

Mind you, EPA rule-making has legislative authority and procedures for
public comment and even litigation. Not this flight of fancy, invasion in
poor people's kitchens by an army of groupthinkers.

WHO has no business pontificating on household cookstove emissions and
forecast individual health gains. If it is the GBD gobbledy-gook, me
reiterate that GBD is not the sum of individuals' burden of disease and
there is no way to forecast GBD for specific risk factors across cohorts
and over time.

I write cynically but I take seriously the GBD suggestions that national
policy makers conduct their own detailed BOD studies. My main question, as
before, is, what do stove designs have to do without first specifying i) a
service standard, and ii) how stove emissions are contextualized in an
overall air quality strategy including all other sources and exposure types
(indoor and outdoor).

If I were to advise a health minister - nyah, a finance minister - I would
tell her I remain unconvinced by this new Coalition of the Willing - Global
Allliance - for a Global War on Bearer-ism. (In Indian English, a
restaurant server used to be called "Bearer".)

The Bible has a prayer for "convenient food
<http://standardbearer.rfpa.org/node/43578>". Leviticus 11
<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+11&version=NASB> is
about clean and unclean animals and cooking practices, not clean cookstoves
(that I can find). (For more on cooking in Biblical times, look here
<http://www.bible-archaeology.info/cooking.htm> and here
<http://www.bible-history.com/links.php?cat=39&sub=728&cat_name=Manners+%26+Customs&subcat_name=Ovens>
.)

EPA declared GACC a savior last Octobe
<https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-employee-selected-winner-2015-service-america-medalcookstoves-initiative-improving>r
- ""The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves has already improved the lives
of 100 million people living in the poorest areas of the world by reducing
the health risks of indoor smoke from cooking meals over open fires and
crude stoves." I admire Mr. Jacob Moss' commitment, but this assertion is
baseless.

Stove emissions and indoor air quality are one thing in Alaska
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AUuqTOS90>, another in Peoria, still
another in Pandharpur.

DfID (in its annual review of EBCC grant to GACC, February 2016) states, of
planned ISO documents (which will take at least two more years to
promulgate),

"Together these documents will provide a common terminology for
communication and when implanted through policies, regulation, and
labelling programs, will help consumers and users make informed purchases,
allow designers and manufacturers to affirm product quality and drive
innovation, and will provide investors with a credible basis for evaluating
and comparing stove performance and safety." (See here
<http://iati.dfid.gov.uk/iati_documents/5368271.odt>)

Yeah. Sell dreams. When implanted.. will help.. (Some of us Indians may
remember Sapnon ka Saudagar.)

These cheap, clean stoves were supposed to save millions of lives. What
happened?
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/these-cheap-clean-stoves-were-supposed-to-save-millions-of-lives-what-happened/2015/10/29/c0b98f38-77fa-11e5-a958-d889faf561dc_story.html?utm_term=.bedf78edfb81>
(Marc
Gunther, Washington Post 29 October 2015).

Up in Smoke
<http://www.caravanmagazine.in/reportage/smoke-India-perfect-cookstove>
again. EPA/WHO fiddle.

---------------------

"Using Stove Emissions Data to Estimate Air Quality"?? What stove emissions
data and air quality where, when? Covering what portion of the world's
population and what stove and non-stove sources (natural and anthropogenic)
of which pollutants?

Yeah. Some spotty data here and there, and WHO buys the Global Burden of
Disease theology. Stove emissions and air quality??? Compared to what
baseline?

There is no way to rebut Daniel Wilson's assertion I quoted - "while
emission rate and indoor concentration are mechanistrically linked, indoor
concentrations from episodic sourcese are not meaningfully linked with
respiratory intake or uptake. The implicit assumption of today’s standards
is that a cookstove with lower emission rates will lead to lower indoor
concentrations of pollutants and will therefore be safer for the user.
However, this assumption is not necessarily true."

It is just plain impossible for anybody to argue otherwise. Yes, EPA can
cook up not just emissions from a firebox but air quality from boxes of
larger dimensions - a one-room home, a three-room home, a 10-room home, a
30 square km area with 5,000 inhabitants and 2,000 stoves VIA ASSUMPTIONS.
Us economist types know how well we can fool everybody with just choosing
baseless - even untestable - assumptions.  We "get away with murder" just
like GBD folks did; "assume" is really making an ass of you and me.

I am assuming still - I am always happy to be proven wrong - that the
EPA/WHO modeling is about some lab derivation of emission profiles - x
hours at a time, under varying ambient air temperature, humidity, wind
patterns, over a year so as to adjust for seasonal factors - of particular
stoves for the purpose of boiling water and derivation of INDOOR air
quality in some standardized box.

I call this the "box paradigm". With i) a stove as a firebox (like a steam
engine, forget cooking), ii) home as a box, a la circulation models, iii)
world and livelihoods in a box, again via global circulation models.

There may also be a closed box a la Nazi ovens. Limited ventilation, as the
current mania goes. (Is it not remarkable that many long-term indoor air
pollution and health studies are done in cold regions and without chimney
use?) I wonder if the Nazis kept records of indoor air pollution and
premature mortality, albeit planned. (*)

We are all boxed in by this box paradigm. Mindless modeling with inadequate
data and misspecified equations, then pretending that model output are
data. The fallacy of misplaced concreteness. (GBD is a prime example. Paid
for by the Gates.)

When you are caught in the box, you cannot ask questions - or provide
answers - outside the box. Defining the paradigm is control of the scope
and structure of argument. When the paradigm itself as fault, it is useless
for raising valid and arguably more important questions. Such as what I
asked about the purposes of biomass stove design - service standard (not
"performance standard" as defined by water boiling tests) and as an element
of an air quality compliance and exposure control strategy (can't be done
just by stove redesign.)

Boxing us in is a "fundamental foolishness". Foolishness is a trait,
individual or collective. If I am seen as a village fool, no person
confident of his/her wisdom would ask me a question or answer my question.
(Hint, hint.)

------------------

I have nothing against stove designers or stove testers; I know very little
about combustion or stove testing protocols, just that cooking experience
and nutrition take priority over theories of burden of disease upon the
cohorts past.

EPA says <https://www.epa.gov/air-research/clean-cookstove-research>, "EPA's
research is making a significant contribution to providing cleaner
cookstove technology throughout the world."

Hyperbole. But remember, "contribution" is not "causality". "Significance"
is in the eyes of the beholder, or some crooked econometrician.

Also, "As part of this effort, EPA supports development of *standard
cookstove testing methods and protocols *through ISO Technical Committee
285, Clean Cookstoves and Clean Cooking Solutions. Standards can provide
incentive for stove developers to innovate and improve stove performance."

The ISO TC effort is just a part of the grandiose dream of the Empire
Promotion Agency to provide "cleaner cookstove technology throughout the
world".

Standardizing testing methods and protocols for the manifestly un-standard
cooking experiences, indoor and outdoor environs, and notoriously
un-standard human beings (even their oxidation machines)?? Where does that
take anybody but webinars, I wonder.

For "cleaner cookstoves" to make a "significant contribution" to improving
air qualities and reducing disease incidence - all other risk factors
remaining largely unchanged - it will take a lot more than "Stove testing
to air quality".

EPA further says,

"The scientific contributions by EPA are:

   - Improving the health of people in developing countries
   - Addressing environmental problems with cookstoves such as
   deforestation when wood is sought for burning
   - Addressing emissions of black carbon and greenhouse gases that
   contribute to climate change."

The messiah complex. Publishing papers does not give a right to claim
causal effect, if any.

An economist or a policy maker would ask, "What do I need to know? Is that
knowable? What is the point of wasting money on the scientists knowing more
than nothing but nothing specific?"

Whose knowledge? For whom? What are the opportunity costs in terms of
knowledge not sought and avoided action opportunities?

This is what makes this whole enterprise "fundamental foolishness" as Cecil
so aptly pointed out.

We - and billions of people now and in the next 30 years (minus those who
die, prematurely or post-maturely) - are boxed in by EPA/ISO pretense.

----------------------
Questions need to be asked "outside the box". The box paradigm has now led
to a box mentality.

I already asked,

a. What next? Would somebody talk about cooking deaths and the basis of WHO
IAQ Guidelines?

b. Or about what service standard a "performance standard" is to be sought
to linked to?

c. Or whether exposure changes and disease incidence can be predicted over
the next 30 years with any degree of reliability?

d. Who are scientists accountable to, even when they are (or not)
accountable to themselves?

e. Would anybody consider going back to the basics - what is cooking, why
is cooking, who is cooking, how is cooking?

Except for a), none of these are addressed to WHO.

-------------------

I do have more questions, though, about "Stove Emissions and Air Quality":

1. What is the problem? Whose problem is it? How did it become your problem
and when do you have to solve it?

2. Assuming the problem is emissions from cookstoves and exposure to indoor
air pollution:

   - Define "indoor" and justify with reference to actual data on dwelling,
   doors, windows, chimneys.
   - What will the stove(s) under consideration do, when, for whom, how?
   - How do you model ventilation?
   - How many years of use by how many people in the home or neighborhood
   can you model?
   - How do you define "people" when you start discussing "Using Stove
   Emissions"?

3. What is the evidentiary basis for setting IAQ guidelines in terms of
actual exposure data to cooking and non-cooking emissions and introduction
of outdoor pollutants indoors? Look at the Dasgupta et al. (2006) paper and
discuss construction materials, cooking practices, dwelling design,
demographics, geographic features, as actually recorded.

4. What are WHO IAQ guidelines worth, to whom, where, when, how? You may
consider the actual experience with outdoor air quality guidelines and
measurements in Beijing, Tehran, Washington DC, Johannesburg, or the arid
plains of western and central-northern India. Some air pollution is
natural.

5. What pollutants do you know exist where, based on what data, and how do
you translate those data into exposures for individuals or classes of
people?

6. Where do you see WHO air quality (indoor or outdoor) guidelines have
been used to develop specific legislation and regulatory program, "air
quality control strategies", and what is the record in terms of human
health benefits as empirically measured and validated by theoretical models
for specific geographies over a 10-20 year period?

7. How can you forecast future premature mortality, burdens of disease, and
relative risk without also taking into account the changes in food economy,
land and water management, health care service access and quality, dwelling
types and designs in different environments, and exposures to all air
pollution, natural or anthropogenic?

------------------------------
Without an overall air quality strategy, individual "New Source Performance
Standards" are, ahem, "hot air". Something EPA is skilled at.

EPA also knows money buys loyalty. Money buys mouths. Money buys convenient
untruths and shuts out inconvenient truths.

I have so far had great respect for WHO work on "social and environmental
health". I have used their (multi-agency) draft (never finalized) 2012
report on social and environmental health and climate change in papers and
presentations for my clients.

Why, I have even used USEPA help and advocated the use of "advanced stoves"
- pictures courtesy EPA contact (thank you, EPA) - for human capital
development policies.

BUT I stop at endorsing at the EPA/WHO/ISO "voluntary performance
standards" shenanigans.

This smacks of another instance of a favorite game in Washington, DC
lobbyist circles - "Making fool enough of enough people long enough." (I
played that game too, for EPA via contractor work. That's Washington.)

I suspect - pardon my ignorance and lack of peer-reviewed research - that
EPA has made fools of WHO. Just as we are all made fools of by rank abuse
of GBD.

This is blatant intellectual imperialism. The flag and the fakery go
together.

Scientism is murder by intellectual smoke. Presumptuousness, pretense,
perfunctory knowledge.

These webinars are training in evangelization for the Church of the Earth
Savior.

I also evangelize. Then I see facts on the ground and questions from folks
like Xavier, Dr. Karve, Anil Rajvanshi, Crispin, Sujoy, Anurag Bhatnagar.
Not questions worth nagging WHO with.

WHO - anybody who spends public money for supposedly public good, not just
pleasing a future boss of the world - ought to be concerned about high
reputational risk associated with engaging in this "Using Stove Emissions
Data to Estimate Air Quality."

Go ahead. Make ovens with limited air and limited ventilation, and ask for
research. (*)

Nikhil

----------
 [*] "In 1943, the building department of the Auschwitz concentration camp
(Zentral-Bauleitung der Waffen-SS und Polizei Auschwitz) wrote a latter to
the Prussian Institute for Water, Soil and Air Hygiene. Referring to a
correlating request of the local authorities, it asked whether the
institute would be ready to write an expert report; the project in question
was "the construction of a heating plant at the Auschwitz camp." The
institute, eager to get as much work as possible in order to demonstrate
the indispensability of its staff, was generally willing to write such a
report. Consequently, it asked for a map that showed the environs of the
projected plant within a radius of five kilometers. That may explain why
the report was never written. This exchange of letters was perhaps the most
obscene type of communication that one could imagine in the field of air
pollution control. It is not clear whether the "heating plant" was in fact
a crematorium (though it is worth pointing out that the letters were
written at a time when the SS started to use the large crematoriums of the
Birkenau extermination camp.) But to even think of air pollution control in
the context of these camps is grotesque. *This communication is stark
evidence of one of the great ambivalences of the Nazi era: the unsettling
coexistence of monstrous crimes and bureaucratic routine*." (p. 118, How
Green Were the Nazis?: Nature, Environment, and Nation in the Third Reich,
Franz-Josef Bruggemeier, Mark Cloc, Thomas Zeller, Ohio University Press,
2005. Emphasized text prompted me to reflect on the continuing "unsettling
coexistence of monstrous crimes and bureaucratic routine" today. Playing
fiddle in labs, boiling water.)

Outdoor crematoria also show that if air pollution causes death, deaths
cause air pollution: Funerals, weddings skew South Asia emission figures
<http://www.natureasia.com/en/nindia/article/10.1038/nindia.2013.137> Subhra
Priyadarshini, Nature India, 19 October 2013.

"It turns out that the funeral pyres alone could be contributing as much as
92 Gg/year (Giga grams per year) of light-absorbing carbon aerosols. This,
they say, is equivalent to almost 23 percent of the total carbonaceous
aerosol mass produced by human-burnt fossil fuels, and 10 percent of
biofuels in the South Asian region."

It may be easier to clean up cremation and even get clean power: A dead
heat - crematorium to sell power for National Grid
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/8917633/A-dead-heat-crematorium-to-sell-power-for-National-Grid.html>:
crematorium is planning to become the first in the UK to generate
electricity to sell to the National Grid - by using heat from its furnaces.
James Copping, Telegraph (UK) 27 November 2011.

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080