[Stoves] News 21 Sept 16: Cow dung, soot and stoves in California

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 21 19:24:29 CDT 2016

Dear Nikhil

I thought at first glance at the link that Gov Brown was going to limit the soot from smoking Crack.

There has to be some explanation for this stuff.

Regarding the efficiency of approved and unapproved heating stoves we are holding a ‎session this week at the China Agricultural University on how to rate the heating performance of stoves designed to be connected to a chimney as a heat exchanger, heating wall, or other device that is separate from the stove such as a kang (heated brick sleeping platform).

This creates a third class of wood stove: low pressure boilers, space heating stoves, 'chimney heating stoves' meaning they put the heat into the exhaust, not necessarily into the room.

There is nothing stovers like more than a blast of hot gas, right? Undiluted.

I'll report separately on the development of a testing cycle for Kyrgyzstan in which a number of new ideas should be tested. If you have a valid use pattern, what do you do what the new technology disrupts that pattern (in a positive manner) when it comes to making performance claims? As you point out, if the user experience ‎is much more positive, it should be included in the assessment, 'without borders'.

I love Jerry Brown. He could have done just as good as a Jesuit. News items
below.

A path-breaking legislation. A better - however disputed - scientific basis
than EPA's "endangerment finding" about ALL greenhouse gases including CO2,
the least harmful carbon in the atmosphere.

A CARB report Reducing Short-LivedClimate Pollutantsin CaliforniaFighting
climate change and protecting public health
<https://arb.ca.gov/cc/shortlived/slcp_booklet.pdf> September 2014
discusses methane, black carbon, fluorinated carbons and tropospheric
ozone.

The bill finally signed into law at SB-1383 Short-lived climate pollutants:
methane emissions: dairy and livestock: organic waste: landfills.
<https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1383>

Implementation strategy due January 2018. CARB Proposed Short-LivedClimate
Pollutant Reduction Strategy
<https://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/shortlived/meetings/04112016/proposedstrategy.pdf>
April
2016 says, "Additionally, ARB will work with local air districts to further
reduce particulate matter and black carbon emissions from woodstoves and
fireplaces. Governor Brown’s 2016-17 proposed budget includes $40 million
to reduce black carbon from woodsmoke." (p. 10)

I wonder if WHO/EPA have jurisdiction or the Insane Stove Ordinances (ISO)
any interest to determine lab testing protocol for boiling water in
California. ARB seems to know and understand better:

"A number of local air districts require air pollution control technologies
for chain-driven broilers, reducing particulate emissions from these
charbroilers by over 80 percent. Underfired charbroilers are a larger
source of PM, but no cost-effective air pollution control technology has
been identified to date. Air districts are working to develop air pollution
control devices for under-fired charbroilers. Demonstration projects for
emerging control technologies are in progress and it is anticipated that
large districts will develop rules for these emissions going forward." (p.
45)

On the other hand, cookstoves for the poor in the developing world. The
emperor has no clothes and the public have no eyes?

I happen to think there is a useful beginning point for a strategy
discussion than the GACC-ian propaganda (some also found in California;
that's politics).

"Education and outreach are important tools to reduce emissions from
residential wood combustion. A broader public understanding of the health
and environmental impacts of wood smoke may cause voluntary changes in
behavior to use other heating sources and may cause individuals to avoid
unnecessary burning both indoors and outdoors. Education on proper burn
practices may reduce emissions when wood is used, and is essential to
achieve full emission reductions from EPA-Certified wood burning devices."
(p. 48)

Depends on willingness to learn and understand. In the case of solid fuels
for the wretched of the earth, it is the experts who need to be
re-educated. I think; not sure. I don't know learning or teaching.

Of course, vegan diet will solve the problem at its root - no cattle
methane and no meat broiling.

Anybody game to model forest fires and open burning of crop/tree wastes as
a "risk factor" in GBD? I will take it on for $20 million only; fixed
price. Optional modeling of open burning and positive warming feedback
loops for another $5 million.

Manure management is a serious problem. More than 20 years ago, a Vice
Minister from China (for agriculture or rural development, I think)
complained to me how the sharp increase in poultry and meat demand in
Beijing had created huge manure ponds all around; she didn't know how to
control them. Apart from air pollution, wet manure is also breeding ground
for air-borne disease vectors - flies and mosquitoes - and a serious water
pollution hazard.

Oh, well. GBD itself is manure in need of management. Can be used for
fertilizer and clean combustion.

Nikhil
------------

Vowing to protect the lungs of Californians, Gov. Brown signs law cracking
down on soot and methane
<http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-updates-vowing-to-protect-the-lungs-of-1474312163-htmlstory.html>
 LA Times 20 Sep 16
"Emissions of soot pollutants, also known as black carbon, would be reduced
by 50% from 2013 levels by 2030 under the new law. Methane emissions from
dairy farms would be subject to a 40% reduction in the same time period,
though that program wouldn't fully take effect until 2024.

The law provides money for some of the effort from the state's sale of
greenhouse gas pollution credits, the cap-and-trade program.

"The negotiations were not easy by any means," said state Sen. Ricardo Lara
(D-Bell Gardens), the new law's author who called the impact of soot
pollutants "devastating" on children in some urban communities."

SoCalGas Commends Governor Brown and Senator Ricardo Lara for SB 1383
<http://finance.yahoo.com/news/socalgas-commends-governor-brown-senator-200400967.html>,
Yahoo Finance 19 September 2016

""California could produce almost 300 billion cubic feet of renewable gas
per year just from organic waste. Instead of sending that waste to
landfills or burning it, it could be used to generate enough renewable
electricity to power two-to-three million homes. In fact, studies show that
existing organic waste alone could supply more than 15 percent of our
current natural gas demand if converted to methane. "

Apocalypse Cow: Will California bill cut gassy livestock emissions?
<http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0920/Apocalypse-Cow-Will-California-bill-cut-gassy-livestock-emissions>
 Christian Science Monitor 20 September 2016

Calif.: Climate-change laws leader; black carbon, methane, fluorinated
gases bill signed
<http://alankandel.scienceblog.com/2016/09/21/calif-climate-change-laws-leader-black-carbon-methane-fluorinated-gases-bill-signed/>,
Air Quality Matters (blog) 21 September 2016