[Stoves] Off-topic news: Uni of Iowa hosts conference to save millions of lives globally

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 23:46:16 CDT 2017

	This is a first day report on what I have learned at this conference so far.  Paul Anderson also made it - demonstrating some TLUDs - at the IU team’ kind invitation.

	1.  I said I liked the paper because I found a lot of useful Anthropological material in the paper.  I still have not yet had enough personal contact on the potential charcoal-making aspects of any stove - but got a little initial positive reaction on the desirability of stoves that can make money from Prof. Khandelwal.   I hope i can report more on my suppositions about making money (which was not part of the IU team’s work).

	To remind:  the paper title was Why Have Improved Cook-Stove Initiatives in India Failed? (which we need to hear more about)
and the authors were
MEENA KHANDELWAL a, MATTHEW E. HILL JR. a, PAUL GREENOUGH a, JERRY ANTHONY a, MISHA QUILL b, MARC LINDERMAN a and H.S. UDAYKUMAR a,*

	2.  The University of Iowa is to be commended for having a long term interest in India (of which I was unaware) - more than just stoves.  Apparently about 100 students have gone to India over the past  6-7 years - 4 weeks over the Christmas Break.  We have met about a dozen faculty - many more than on the paper.  Tonight Paul and I heard 3 half-hour panels of 3 persons each.  These will be aired later and presumably we can all hear them soon via the University’s International office.  Two students were among the nine being interviewed.  Some very cogent remarks on stoves by some on the paper.  Stover was about half this evening’s content - other material on other causes of deaths, water issues, etc..

	3.  Kirk Smith not yet here because of an airline problem.  He will give a re-arranged talk tomorrow - said to be on LPG.

	4.   Very interesting discussions with Professor Udaykumar (one of tonight’s international interviewees) on the potential of adding storage to solar cookers (and possibly (we both hope) to biomass stoves).  Nothing positive to report - but glad to see IU is one of the 4 groups known to be doing something on this important and still unsolved topic.

	5.  More coming.       Ron

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 11:26 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> List,  cc Nikhil (and Crispin because it seems this was intended for him primarily)
>
> 	1.  This conference seems one I am now likely to attend.   I especially want to hear Kirk Smith.  This is a non-fee conference.  I see no justification for this thread being labeled “off-topic”.

		<Snip rest - but can be found on the stove list site>