[Stoves] Off-topic news: Uni of Iowa hosts conference to save millions of lives globally

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 07:44:27 CDT 2017

Ron:

Since you asked me specifically, October is when a new US government budget
takes effect. DJT has submitted a blueprint of MAGA budget. Foundations
will need to make up for money and hire the fired, if any.

I wrote "off-topic" because the news release headline was a put-off. All
conferences "to save millions of lives globally
<https://now.uiowa.edu/2017/04/ui-hosts-conference-save-millions-lives-globally>"
are worth no more than smoke (some smoke can be pleasant, intoxicating,
medicinal).

You are correct, I did mean to disparage the "smoke" theme. A university
press release claiming WHO estimates *CO2* is among the pollutants
 "released while burning biomass lead to 4 million deaths annually" shows
the bankruptcy of academia.

You and I may be in agreement about the substantive significance of
Udaykumar's work.

I know something of his past
<https://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/article/how-a-simple-inexpensive-device-makes-a-three-stone-hearth-as-efficient-as-an-improved-cookstove/>
work.
Then too the UI press release had hyper-ridiculous headline - Insert for
traditional cookstoves found to decrease global warming, prevent premature
deaths."
<https://now.uiowa.edu/2015/12/small-metal-grate-makes-big-impact-environment-health>

Yeah, right. Premature deaths CANNOT BE PREVENTED. They are not specific,
individual deaths. By definition, there will always be premature deaths;
only the risk factors and YLL (Years of lives lost) will change.

And any claims of "found to decrease global warming" are beyond ridicule.

Just ask Kirk Smith and Tami Bond.

*************

Udaykumar and team had a nice paper then, exposing the well-worn
mis-statements of the "improved woodstoves" advocates on India. The
sub-head  was rather annoying - "Simple, Inexpensive Device Makes a
Three-Stone Hearth as Efficient as an Improved Cookstove
<https://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/article/how-a-simple-inexpensive-device-makes-a-three-stone-hearth-as-efficient-as-an-improved-cookstove/>
-
because the term "improved cookstove" is inane. (Kirk Smith asked in ~2011
that the term be retired.)

I hope you like the paper. The villages mentioned are in the region I spent
childhood in - on the other side of the forest - .

Udaykumar's team did what Cecil asks -- they OBSERVED the process of
cooking. Those who care for cooks must be liberated from the WHO dogma and
fantasies, and police silly claims in press releases.

*****************
Now the new paper you mention, which I will try to download.

The abstract is pleasant. These conclusions could have been reached decades
ago, if only stove experts had done their homework in understanding the
cooks.

The question is, what do these authors base their conclusions on and how do
they propose pulling the faithful away from the dogma?

After 40 years, I still don't see light at the end of the tunnel. You may
call me what you like but I am not an "antagonistic pessimist".

I just spent 26 days in a remote rural part of India. The nearest village -
Suryamaal - was smaller than Karech and the nearest town Wada comparable to
Gogunda. (I was 300 km south from my home while Udaykumar's study area
about 300 km north; mountainous, forested, etc.)

I agree with their abstract,
*"targeting this device for obsolescence has profound implications that
cannot be reduced to energy consumption or environmental hazards." *
My view for at least 25 years; I don't know why you think you and I have
opposite views.

So much for the TC 285 exercise in pursuit of 90% emission reductions and
your quarrels about fuel efficiency calculations in WBT. Not dispositive of
the basic question -- what would make a stove usable? By which cooks and
where, when?

*"Searching for a middle ground requires stepping back from the dogma of
efforts to improve biomass cook-stoves."*Amen. I hear Cecil's echo.

I wrote a suggestion about what could be done in the next four months but
rather than attacking my idea, my post was censored. Perhaps you, Crispin
and I could do that offline. Middle ground of minds, not monies.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
+91 909 995 2080 <+91%2090999%2052080>
Skype: nikhildesai888