[Stoves] Comparison fuel consumption

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 01:59:46 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Just why is "emissions per kg burned or per MJ delivered to the pot"
relevant?

What matters is exposure profiles - presence in certain concentrations over
the course of a day or a week or a month or a year.

Perhaps. In fact, there is very little we know about emission rates,
concentrations, exposures, and disease incidence for different
age/sex/ethnic profiles in different parts of the world.

I grant "emissions per kg burned" is a better metric than average hourly
emission rates and loads for four-hour cooking periods assumed. But fuel
chemistry, combustion chemistry, and air chemistry of the cooking area,
surroundings, and everywhere else the person in question moves around,
cannot be modeled in realistic circumstances for all contexts.

Contextual, not general, analysis helps design usable stoves. Your
reference to higher efficiency stove with doubled emissions is relevant
only for burning in closed areas and bad chimneys. I wonder how many such
stoves were used. From what I recall for India, people abandoned high-smoke
stoves, fuel savings notwithstanding.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080