[Stoves] Comparison fuel consumption - Time for changes

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 17 09:34:33 CDT 2017

Stovers,

Nikhil wrote a reply to Crispin and to all of us:     (my emphasis added
as    PSA:   ].)

<< snipped >>

I happen to think WHO interjection in the ISO TC 285 process - in
particular, Tier 4 PM2.5 hourly average emission rate target - drives a
_stake into the heart of solid fuels cookstove effort.

[_PSA:   Absolutely correct.  Solid fuel ICS stoves are "Insufficient
Cookstoves" with dated combustion technology that keeps hanging around
and pretending to be "improved", an over-used and no-longer meaningful
word. ]

So long as "international standards" and Tier certificates dominate
policy discussions, with GACC insistence (the Implementation Science
paper and previous work for the World Bank) on "permanent transition and
exclusive use of clean cookstoves", I don't see _stovers of the past
_getting out and helping users and their governments.

TC 285 is a "top down" drive    [PSA:  True]    to clear the market for
LPG.    [PSA:  Not necessarily true, but it is the reality unless the
TLUD / woodgas stoves can get some serious support.}

I am puzzled that Ron, Tom, and other knowledgeable people fail to _see
this destruction of biomass stover community. _

[PSA: Again  Nikhil is correct.  ICS stoves are not sufficient any
longer.    The destruction of SOLID FUEL biomass stover community is
overdue.   Too much time and money continue to go  to  weak "solutions"
with  ICS stoves (which do not include woodgas/TLUD stoves).   See the
stove classification document at

http://www.drtlud.com/2017/04/11/classification-stove-technologies-fuels/ ]

(BTW, how much has your "step forward" led to funding increase for solid
fuel stove design and testing efforts in the field? Or is it still "more
of the same", however you choose to characterize the failures of the
last 40 years?)

[PSA:  Please see the classification document cited above. It is time to
rally with support for the existing (but few) stove designs that can use
solid fuel as INITIAL fuel and then make clean-burning GASES that are
the actual fuel for the heat for cooking (as are the woodgas TLUD
stoves.).   Otherwise, just hand over the serious efforts to the LPG
advocates. Nikhil is correct; in the past 40 years the ICS stoves
(including the simple ones and the rocket ones and the charcoal ones)
have not risen to the challenge for even 100 million stoves, even  with
all the support from the PCIA and GACC and major donors like Shell
Foundation plus the mega-efforts in past decades in India and China.
In contrast, woodgas/TLUD stoves have been left to starve for funds, or
mis-directed funds. ]

[PSA comments above by Paul S Anderson]

Nikhil

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com