[Stoves] Classification of Stoves and Fuels -- important distinctions

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:50:15 CDT 2017

Dr TLUD:

Delighted!! Thank you.

Why "Modern Advanced" and not just "Modern"? Not only does roughly a half
of the humanity uses 19th Century fuels and 19th Century stoves, even the
"improved woodstoves" movement started in US and possibly Europe and
elsewhere in the 19th Century. The "fuel-free", "cook-free" - meaning,
without consideration of the diversity of fuels and cooks, cuisines -
enthusiasm of "improved woodstoves" (ICS, not TLUD and gasification-based)
movement basically means keeping the poor of the 21st Century in the 19th
Century.

If by "Modern Advanced" you mean a combination of 20th Century (LPG, piped
gas, electricity, processed biomass, kerosene for cooking rather than
lighting) cooking solutions - characterizing them as mere Modern - as well
as 21st Century (TLUD, gasification-based) cooking solutions - as "Advanced
Modern" - I wholeheartedly support you.

This chart was beyond my expectations. I asked for some classification like
this on Stoves Listserv 20+ years ago and perhaps again last year. No
response. I then asked some colleagues about representative costs and
prices, materials, pots, etc. in countries they worked in. Not much from
their either.

I vaguely remember a smaller version of something like this in the last
year. Yours is wonderful.

Now a question -- is it possible and useful to do a stove classification by
region, and by end-use, say applications?

Pretenses to the contrary, few people use stoves to boil water. Depending
on the variety and complexity of cookery - I can easily list ten different
tasks every day and together some 30 different tasks over the course of a
year - different fuel/stove combinations (plus toaster,microwave, kettle)
are applied in my kitchen. There was a time when we had charcoal, kerosene,
gas stoves; their "stacking" was determined by habits, food preferences,
and fuel economics.

Uses determine usability of stoves, not fuels or stove types alone. Some
"implementation scientists" demanding permanent transition exclusively to
Tier 4 cookstoves are inhaling their own equitoxic PM2.5.

So, classification of stoves by end-uses and size, picking out what is in
the market in any given place, may be a good map to what ought to be done
in the next five years or so.

----

Cooking - in and outside households - is more than $5+ trillion a year
business worldwide. There is no characterization of this market or of
changes therein. Our heads are stuck in the firebox. We do not even
distinguish between different types of service provided; worse, we are not
prepared to even go about setting one service standard other than boiling
water. We are not able to dissect deceptive claims of environmental,
health, and climate costs and benefits; we go along with our heads down.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(India +91) 909 995 2080
*Skype: nikhildesai888*