[Stoves] FW: Dr. Tom Reed: The Father of Clean Burning?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Apr 29 10:21:34 CDT 2017

I appreciate Dean Still’s tribute to Tom Reed in his latest newsletter below. Tom was our friend, client, mentor, and collaborator for more than 40 years. He inspired inventions, theses, and many companies. Most importantly he kept bringing us back to fundamentals. As Director of the US Department of Energy Alcohol Fuels Program (1979- ) at the Solar Energy Research Institute (now National Renewable Energy Laboratory) he introduced many of us to gasification. While there he developed his stratified downdraft gasifier concepts. (I remember years of skepticism about TLUD’s and whether they would ever be adopted.)

From: "Aprovecho Research Center" <info at aprovecho.org <mailto:info at aprovecho.org> >
Subject: Dr. Tom Reed: The Father of Clean Burning?

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=S_c6ZDP3E9vGhXYGXLbcJQ>

Dr. Tom Reed: The Father of Clean Burning?

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=12DLp_n_qADQxxzkJX4AJw>

Well, Tom is certainly one of a small group including Paal Wendelbo and Ron Larson who started making “Tier 4” stoves in the 1980’s. I think of Tom when I light his wonderful forced draft TLUD camp stove which I do to demonstrate a simple ‘no smoke’ stove. Tom’s webpage says,”  In 1972 Tom Reed became concerned about the energy and fuel futures of the U.S. and began working on alternate fuels on the side while working at MIT in the field of solid state research. He was the first person to use alcohol blends during this period and when he wrote “Methanol – A Clean Fuel for the 21st century”, for Science magazine, it changed his career. In this article he said that for the short term methanol would be made from natural gas, but in the long term biomass could supply our needs forever.

Looking out of the ARC office windows, the rural Oregon road that curves past the campus is lined with 100 foot tall trees and the forest, even after decades of logging, is immense. Learning how to cleanly combust wood seems important here in the US as it does in other countries. Sustainably harvested energy is only amazing if it does no harm when burned and complete combustion opens a carbon neutral alternative that may be necessary in all sorts of applications.

How close is the complete combustion of biomass? Pellet stoves, industrial burners, and forced draft in general gets pretty close. Scrubbing the remaining emissions gets closer. In the cook stove world progress has been faster than I imagined as back yard R&D coupled with university analysis, supported by the DOE and EPA, inches science closer to the zero emission goal. As I envision the steps needed to complete the understanding leading to complete combustion, I’m thinking that reaching the goal is almost inevitable, with thanks to true believers like Dr. Tom Reed who helped to start the ball rolling.

The post Dr. Tom Reed: The Father of Clean Burning? <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=B5lTCiTZMk.oJ2NtRBKuUA>  appeared first on Aprovecho <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=zfzjWxhiuUwcBAZHijoVDg> .

About ARC

Aprovecho Research Center <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=zfzjWxhiuUwcBAZHijoVDg>  (ARC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to solving the problems of indoor air pollution and fuel scarcity in developing countries related to preparing food on biomass cook stoves. ARC has been helping people with stove design and testing since 1976, and since 2007 has helped to create Regional Testing and Knowledge Centers (RTKC <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=zhHJTCDwIzft48YEFucStw> ) with its emissions equipment <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=jAJ_ATWdmcWF_uZP1EFZgA>  and training programs <mailto:mike at aprovecho.org?subject=I'd%20like%20more%20information%20about%20your%20training%20programs&body=Hi%20Mike%2C%0A%0AI%20just%20read%20your%20newsletter.%20I'd%20like%20more%20information%20about%20your%20training%20programs.%20I'm%20interested%20in%20learning%20how%20to%20do%20lab%20and%20field%20stove%20testing%20and%20stove%20design.%20Thanks.> .

ARC's work is supported through the sale of its emissions equipment, testing, training, and design services, through the sale of StoveTec <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=cZIYIMv0B2RU3Cy3lqNqxA>  products, and by donations. Donations help to cover costs between sales and free the staff to pursue topics that are pertinent to ARC's mission <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=UwAiBNMCY4gk6IvMAtIxfA> . Some of those topics include developing the testing standards that make stove evaluations repeatable and accurate, learning the design principles <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=JqSXLYgvU9Vx38LohgpPRg>  of stoves so that anybody can make an improved stove, and providing subsidized consultation services.

Aprovecho Research Center is 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Your gift <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=PKbeA&m=gwzJ_NLlSJwbCjE&b=LvW253kCRzCiQ5KInD47pw>  is tax deductible.

76132 Blue Mountain School Road
Cottage Grove OR 97424
USA