[Stoves] Revisiting WBT and performance metrics - revisiting history

Nikhil Desai ndesai at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 6 11:06:25 CDT 2017

Xavier:

I don't know about Ecostove performing badly with the WBT and still being
superior to the traditional stoves. As you know, I don't think much of the
efficiency metric -- no tree needs to be "saved" if its use has a higher
value - and PM2.5 is only a recent fad thanks to Kirk Smith and WHO. I
don't think much of mg/min emission rates cooked into the cake of annual
average concentrations irrespective of fuel and cooking practices.

But if Ecostove is found to be usable and used, that is a success, no
matter what lab tests say. Maybe only a success of marketing and delivery
chains, but that - as Kirk Smith says after his second epiphany - is more
important than mere science.

Science and marketing merge in product engineering. Let's see who succeeds.
Do you think the ISO TC-285 exercise is less about science and more about
marketing, by fooling people about "health benefits" or specific mg/min
Emission Rate ranges for different Tiers?

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*