[Stoves] Biomass briquetting tangents

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 22:43:17 CDT 2017

That went out too fast. I have had trouble with three keyboards in recent
days. Now complete:

Tom:

Before you call me out as reaching a conclusion that is "flat wrong,"
please read my statement:

"*If* their stoves are* not tested* *or don't score well in lab tests*, *but
sell well because they are adapted to their markets, there is something
unhelpful about the "lab tests" metrics and protocols;"*

The statement was conditional, with the first part referring to your own
statement "Their products sometime have not been tested, or they score in
the middle of the field in lab tests, but they sell locally and are adapted
to their markets. "

I submit those stoves would have scored higher on some other "lab tests"
metrics and some other protocols. That is plain logic. I never asserted lab
techniques are not helpful, just that some metrics and some protocols give
distracting data. (I for one don't care about boiling water as a proxy for
cooking, and thermal efficiency as a proxy for cost saving, but that can be
debated separately if it is not patently self-evident.)

As for what lab techniques have helped whom, and how, we need to ferret
skeletons out of closets. And have a complete financial and technical audit
of global proclamations on cookstove science, economics, regulations, and
politics. This forum doesn't seem receptive to self-examination.

I fully agree with the abuse of and by consultants and the mismatch between
project cycles of donor. And of course I agree that people matter
throughout the delivery chain. It's just that the competitors to biomass
stoves and fuels seem to be better organized and even better skilled; hence
Kirk Smith's challenge, which I have not yet seen anybody on this List to
respond to.

Please let's not have misunderstandings and misquotes create unnecessary
discord; disagreements are unavoidable.

Nikhil (maybe warped wrong but not flat wrong yet)