[Stoves] Benefits of advanced wood-burning stoves greater than thought

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:26:25 CDT 2017

Bruno M.:

Paul Anderson had posted this on 10 August, and Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
and I had posted rejoinders the same day.

The "advanced" stove tested by Grieshop and colleagues was a Philips stove
that some "health" researchers had characterized as not good enough,
because their use did not lead to significant health gain that the
researchers had apparently taken as an article of faith. There was a
discussion late last year on this List on that "epidemiological" study in
Malawi.

Here, the same stove is praised by the NCSU team because they have taken
atmospheric chemistry and what they call "atmospheric aging" of emissions
into account.

I find it a very interesting result, but irrelevant to practical design and
use considerations - or "benefits" in "health" or "climate". For one, the
ISO/WHO mythology is built around hourly average emission rate of PM2.5 at
the time of testing, nothing else.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831