[Stoves] Nairobi's in and outdoor air pollution.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Aug 17 05:53:24 CDT 2017

Dear Teddy

To me, this confirms again that Nikhil’s point about having to have an air quality management plan om order to meaningfully manage air quality.  The idea that a stove is a curative pill is actually pretty accurate characterisation of what is going on:

Define something as a health/disease problem.
Raise alarm with scary numbers.
Induce personal guilt for benefitting from progress.
Offer a pill that will cure the problem.
Offer to deliver the pill for a fee.
Assuage guilt.

The issues we have to address systematically are the first two. Upon close inspection there is an awful lot of nothing in them. What remains is modeled correlation. What are we supposed to make of that?

An interesting read from The Conversation on air quality in Nairobi, Kenya. https://theconversation.com/invisible-and-ignored-air-pollution-inside-the-homes-of-nairobis-residents-81109#<https://theconversation.com/invisible-and-ignored-air-pollution-inside-the-homes-of-nairobis-residents-81109>

''The modelling showed that while price controls may be effective initially, sustaining gains in air quality and health outcomes will require a combination of different measures. The results also show that only targeting household air pollution isn’t enough.

Because indoor and outdoor air pollutants constantly interact with each other as air moves in and out of people’s homes, the greatest gains will only be realised when outdoor air pollution is addressed effectively.

But it’s easy to focus on ambient air pollution which is more visible and ignore the problem within households. That’s why policymakers need to ensure that both challenges are monitored and addressed. Reducing exposure to both indoor and outdoor air pollution is critical to improving health outcomes for vulnerable populations in the informal settlements in Africa’s cities.''

Does anyone have anymore information on this study?

Best,

Teddy