[Stoves] Nairobi's in and outdoor air pollution.

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 17:07:38 CDT 2017

Crispin, Teddy:

Good to read the news of Nairobi workshops. And that they are doing some
local scenario modeling. Doing things on one's own rather than outsourcing
inquiry solely to foreign experts is a good beginning.

Yes, "visible" is an approximation of the problem, and, as Cliff mentioned
about schools in Nigeria, indoor pollution is NOT "invisible", just that
until Kirk Smith started some 40 years ago, the hyper-educated "experts"
didn't know what was inside the biomass fuel smoke.

It is good that this Conversation (or Propaganda) piece acknowledges  "
Nairobi’s construction boom
<http://www.constructafrica.com/news/column-kenyas-construction-industry-and-its-challenges>
and
practices like the burning of garbage
<http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/8735/20140826/trash-burning-worsens-air-pollution.htm>
." These practices, or other open burning of biomass (alive or dead), emit
both particulates as well as PAHs in gaseous form. (I don't know much about
PAHs pathways.) The problem is, air quality monitors do not distinguish the
chemistry and do not pick up the toxins and pathogens in open burning of
biomass (and plastics, treated wood, a whole lot of things difficult to
measure systematically).

Which makes OUTDOOR air pollution a serious "invisible" pollution. I
suppose fine "natural dust" is distinguished from fuel-origin PM2.5 but
that still leaves aside air pollution from chemical spills, metal workings,
manure, what no.

Kirk Smith is fond of saying "You don't get what you expect, you get what
you inspect". With his re-characterization of IAP as HAP, he has ventured
outdoors but ignored outdoor air pollution other than that from household
solid fuels. (Remember, to him, solid fuels means "dirty", as does
kerosene, though kerosene cooking doesn't enter in his computations.)

And remember also that air quality monitors in urban areas are not
necessarily at the level of people's breathing.

We have come a full circle now at a higher level -- reducing all HAP to
PM2.5 with the assumption of equitoxicity and the fakery of Integrated
Exposure Response based on computed concentrations. " (I haven't checked
the details of cooked up "premature mortality" from ambient air pollution
other than that from household solid fuels, but I have a vague recollection
that the methods are pretty much the same - equitoxicity and IERs, though
concentrations reportedly from actual monitors (when they work) plus
satellite data. (This "satellite data" and global air circulation models
are other mumbo-jumbo. Looked into a couple of papers some time ago. It is
an innovation like the IERs -- spotty and unreliable data used to compute
attribution to different pollutants according to regional circulation.)

The ideological war against solid fuels is a distraction. It is the
ideological smoke that is invisible, a means to leave aside the problem of
air quality management to new source performance.

Don't get me wrong, "new source performance" does make a difference. People
didn't switch to kerosene and LPG or electricity (for beverage making, if
not much else) only to save time and avoid drudgery; low emission rates and
improvements in household concentrations do matter. Whether they lead to
individually quantifiable "disease reduction" is a matter of theology.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*