[Stoves] Cleaner Stoves

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon Aug 21 21:00:36 CDT 2017

<Subject changed>

Greetings Crispin and Stovers,

Crispin writes:
> On Aug 21, 2017, at 4:40 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> The flow rate measurement is accomplished by the very simple method of measuring the flow of air into the fire. This is surprisingly easy to do when there is a door over the fire itself (to see it) and the air enters through some or other entrance below the fire. They put a board with a round tube through it and measure the velocity of the air passing through the tube. This is far more accurate than measuring exhaust gas velocity and calculating the volume because the input is constant in character.

I agree this is likely more accurate than measuring exhaust gas velocity and calculating the volume because the input is constant in character.
That only tells how inaccurate the past procedure has been. But I’m thinking this method of measuring flow going into the fire not much better. It can only be used on selected stoves. Others having a primary and separated secondary create problems. It also interferes with the flow (changing the combustion from normal) and I am not thinking the flow measured going through the added pipe will be the same as the rest of the cross section of the inflow that must be calculated for the total flow rate. We need to experiment with Helium and get a more robust procedure if we are ever going to use testing to compare different stoves using many different laboratories.

It seems there is a loss of interest in establishing a stove testing program using certified labs (if there ever was interest).

There is another approach I’m thinking will work that also uses the six box system:
Pick a small village and get a baseline on the air quality. Then go in with a group of people and work on Box 1, Box 2 and Box 3. Starting with Box 1 (fuel) optimize the fuel for the stoves they already use. That means drying and cutting, splitting etc to ready the fuel for their stoves.  A group of people could work on Box 2 , feeding the fuel into the fire at appropriate time. Then Box 3 would be patching leaks and repairing the stoves hey use. Then monitor the air quality and see if there is an improvement. This approach might not be possible as it entails a great intrusion into the lives of people.

Regards

Frank

Thanks

Frank