[Stoves] Thai Bucket Stove

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 00:24:35 CST 2017

Crispin:

Could be ESMAP funding, for followup on earlier USAID work .

One 1993 paper
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.362.7044&rep=rep1&type=pdf>
that
van der Plas was a co-author to only mentions "In Thailand, improved stoves
development started in the private sector; this is true of other countries
in Asia as well." It refers to several ESMAP-funded stove projects in
Thailand. (Annes 2: Projects Surveyed for Study.)

This seems to be the most widely cited paper on the subject of what makes
biomass stoves usable and used, but it is nearly 25 years ago. So much for
the due diligence of the stove program financiers.

I had no idea that it was the inspiration for Kenyan Ceramic Jiko (KCJ), as
reported here
<https://www.princeton.edu/~mauzeral/wws402f_s03/JP.Shena.Elrington.pdf>: "
The original design for the KCJ was inspired by an improved stove used
throughout Thailand. This stove, the ‘Thai bucket,’ has an insulating liner
composed of ceramic that was cemented from the top to the bottom of the... "

Reducing Indoor Air Pollution in Africa: A Review of Two Successful
Intervention Programs and Recommendations for Future Intervention Efforts
Shena M. Elrington May 2, 2003. Looks like a student paper for WWS 402f:
Sustainable Development- Can We Do It? Prof. Denise L. Mauzerall.

I made an interesting discovery -- according to this
<https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/7385282/improved-biomass-cooking-stove-for-household-use-pdf-101-mb->
1982 paper submitted to the National Energy Administration, the Thai bucket
stove is thought to have originated in China and could have been brought to
Thailand a thousand years earlier (p. 33-34).

The report also says (p. 44) that Meta Systems Inc. Thai Group reviewed
efficiency of various Thai bucket stoves in 1982. I was at Meta Systems in
1980-1 and learned my biomass balance work and cookstoves projects there. I
probably know some folks who worked on that project.

I think the recommendations of this report 35 years ago (on p. 241-2) are
still relevant.

Reinventing the wheel keeps subsequent generations employed in the good
cause.

Nikhil